Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Tomasmekean
macrumors member

Looking for External BluRay burner/Ripper for RMP

I purchased a Digistor External Blu Ray burner to backup some of my older BluRay's that do not have a digital copy. I am only getting 1.5X ripping speed and it was going to take over 4 hours to back up my Blu Ray. I ended up just buying it of iTunes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase? I want a good solid external Blu Ray for my RMP.
Tomasmekean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:18 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

The ripping speed depends more on the software on the Mac than on the speed of the blu-ray drive.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

1.5x ripping speed that was gonna take 4 hours?

What software were you using? Did you try MakeMKV? Usually takes me around half an hour to an hour to backup my blu-rays

EDIT - I have some cheap no-name blu-ray drive from Amazon and it works swimmingly.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

You may want to think about all the factors in ripping blu-ray to an external device. Inside the MBP are several factors (CPU, memory, disk), as is the burning speed of the writer. Don't forget the I/O port. USB 2 is probably the worst choice here.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Tomasmekean
macrumors member

I have the RMP with a 2.7 Ghz 16GB 768SSD. I was using a Digistor external Blu-Ray and the disc was 35GB. The max speed the rip went was 1.5x. I stopped after 45 mins and it still said it required 3 hours and 15 mins to complete. I just went to BestBuy and purchased the LG drive and it ripped the disc in 26mins and 54 seconds. Also the software I was using was MakeMKV.
Tomasmekean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Fed
macrumors 6502

Could anyone comment on this drive? Reviews seem OK and I generally trust Samsung. I'm looking to backup my BluRay collection via my MacBook. Which software does everyone use to rip? Does OSX natively play BluRay?
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
jdblas69
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Could anyone comment on this drive? Reviews seem OK and I generally trust Samsung. I'm looking to backup my BluRay collection via my MacBook. Which software does everyone use to rip? Does OSX natively play BluRay?
I have had this unit for approx 4 months works fine, no problems. I used it to rip my blurays using makemkv. Keep in mind this unit requires 2 usb slots to work as it needs 2 for a decent amount of power. So just make sure you are aware you need a couple free slots that are close together.
jdblas69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice