Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #26
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Im currently waiting for a Haswell rMBP because its literally round the corner.
I wouldnt wait a full year for an update. Seriously just buy the machine and enjoy it. Every year something better will come along, thats just the nature of technology. You can wait a year, and you'll hear rumours of the developments for the following year, which will be much better etc. Its a continuous cycle. Where will you stop?
It's actually looking more and more it's going to be a 2 year wait. Intel's claiming having 'issues' with 14nm production so there will only be a Haswell 'refresh' next year with bumps up in frequency. IMHO, I think Intel is just delaying Broadwell due to lack of competition as pathetic AMD can't even hold a candle to them in performance and power usage. Get your Haswell MBA now and enjoy the 9/12 battery life for the next 2 years!
__________________
13" 2012 rMBP i5/8/512
15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512
magbarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #27
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Republic of Texas
I personally think Apple is thinking of doing away with Intel once the ARM chip is more capable. I agree, fanless is the future, just not the way most think. Bye, bye Wintel. Imagine, basically an iPad with Retina running OS X. The battery life and form factor potential is infinitive. Plus no more wretched fan.
beautifulcoder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:15 PM   #28
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
I could care less about fanless, because I've had my Haswell MBA for a few weeks now, and have yet to even hear the fan.. lol
__________________
MacBook Air 11" 2013 1.7GHz, 8GB, 256SSD
iPad Mini 16GB iPhone 5C 16GB
TV 3 iPod Nano 16GB 4th Gen
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #29
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulcoder View Post
I personally think Apple is thinking of doing away with Intel once the ARM chip is more capable. I agree, fanless is the future, just not the way most think. Bye, bye Wintel. Imagine, basically an iPad with Retina running OS X. The battery life and form factor potential is infinitive. Plus no more wretched fan.
I guess you want Apple again to have inferior performance compared to windows laptops like the 'good old days' of the severely outclassed G4s when windows laptops were smoking them with core 2 duo CPUs. ARM is low power because it IS low powered. Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.
__________________
13" 2012 rMBP i5/8/512
15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512
magbarn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:13 PM   #30
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileman View Post
Supposedly Broadwell will allow laptops like the Air to do away with fans entirely, which sounds incredible in terms of space savings, eliminating noise, battery savings, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/h...aswell-tablet/

I'm guessing if the Broadwell Air can do away with a fan entirely then that is when we'll see the next design refresh.

So with Broadwell due out in a year's time would it be worth waiting for it?
Triple Constraint - Highest Quality, Best Price and Timeframe. At best you can have two of the three. You have to pick which of the three are most important to you.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:54 AM   #31
Amplelink
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwhatev View Post
I could care less about fanless, because I've had my Haswell MBA for a few weeks now, and have yet to even hear the fan.. lol
While I agree that the Haswell MBA is remarkably quiet (and I mean REMARKABLY quiet), going fanless would mean that I don't even need to worry about blocking any vents. Nowadays, I'm still conscious of no blocking vents when I have my MBA on my lap or in bed.
Amplelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:45 AM   #32
AXs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
While I agree that the Haswell MBA is remarkably quiet (and I mean REMARKABLY quiet), going fanless would mean that I don't even need to worry about blocking any vents. Nowadays, I'm still conscious of no blocking vents when I have my MBA on my lap or in bed.
You need to chill bro. Your thousand bucks of a laptop has been built to survive bad parenting. It can take care of itself.

It's only weakness is water at this point.
AXs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:49 AM   #33
ValSalva
macrumors 68040
 
ValSalva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burpelson AFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
It's actually looking more and more it's going to be a 2 year wait. Intel's claiming having 'issues' with 14nm production so there will only be a Haswell 'refresh' next year with bumps up in frequency. IMHO, I think Intel is just delaying Broadwell due to lack of competition as pathetic AMD can't even hold a candle to them in performance and power usage. Get your Haswell MBA now and enjoy the 9/12 battery life for the next 2 years!
AMD's fall has been a mixed blessing. I never wanted to see AMD in Macs and so am glad they were never quite as good as Intel. But at least they used to keep Intel on their toes. Now AMD is just pathetic. If they didn't have the game consoles (which IMHO they got due to lowball pricing) they'd be in even bigger trouble.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #34
jarroyo1031
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
The next generation is always going to be better than the current.

You can keep waiting to infinity if you follow this way of thinking as there's always going to be something better just over the horizon.

----------



To be honest the huge jump will be when we move away from the 1970's battery tech that we still use in today's products.
Amen.
jarroyo1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #35
fierywater
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunderland, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I guess you want Apple again to have inferior performance compared to windows laptops like the 'good old days' of the severely outclassed G4s when windows laptops were smoking them with core 2 duo CPUs. ARM is low power because it IS low powered. Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.
This is exactly right.

ARM will never, ever, ever catch up to Intel as far as power is concerned, and Intel is only getting better with power consumption. Intel is also coming out with a lower TDP Haswell chip that will be able to run fanless.

ARM's sole advantage at this point is price.
fierywater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:14 PM   #36
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn
ARM is low power because it IS low powered.
Exactly, no one cares about performance these days. If that were the case the first iPhone would have failed. Plus with cloud computing and more efficient software, it looks like power hungry CPUs are going the way of the Dodo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn
Anandtech just did an article directly comparing iPad 4 vs the latest MBA's. Even when adjusted for the same battery capacity as iPad 4, the 2013 MBA has BETTER battery life than an iPad 4. ARM is popular as it's cheap. The article is here.
That report says the opposite. The iPad 4 still gets around 15 hours of video. No clue where they got browsing test results, I'm getting 15 hours on my iPad and that is all I do with it. Plus some other stuff and nothing compares to it in terms of battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierywater
ARM will never, ever, ever catch up to Intel as far as power is concerned, and Intel is only getting better with power consumption. Intel is also coming out with a lower TDP Haswell chip that will be able to run fanless.
Not in the cards. I believe Intel is racing ARM to the bottom. My 2013 MBA is actually clocked at a slower speed than the previous generation. So the way I see it, you are right, ARM will never, ever, ever, need to "catch up". Intel is doing all the real catch up.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 07:31 AM   #37
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
There will always be something better a year from now. If you want to wait, go right head.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:07 PM   #38
pilgrim2812
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Speaking of IGZO displays, Ran across an interesting article.

Apparently, Apple is already looking at 4K displays for MBP as Sharp appears to already have a 15.6 inch IGZO 4K display. Its also safe to say the MBP will not be fanless anytime soon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/4k-...ple,24459.html
pilgrim2812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
At this point, is it worth considering waiting for Broadwell? iFanboy MacBook Pro 46 Sep 25, 2014 06:22 PM
Is the haswell worth waiting for? Lifter7 MacBook Pro 5 Oct 5, 2013 09:09 PM
Wait for Haswell or Broadwell? Air or Pro? Windows&Apple MacBook Pro 37 Jun 24, 2013 03:01 AM
Is it worth waiting for Haswell refresh funkymunky MacBook Pro 33 Mar 15, 2013 10:28 PM
Worth waiting for Haswell? Panini MacBook Pro 167 Mar 6, 2013 02:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC