Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I think the iPhone still gets a lot of hate from people who have not used it since like IOS 4. IOS 6 brought so many much needed improvements.

Yeah, I was one of them. My view of it was tainted that badly I just assumed that it could not possibly have improved so much.

khsjsilver

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Princeton, NJ
I spent over 2 years with the Motorola Droid X & Droid X2. I'm so glad I switched.

I guess you can't blame Android over the fact that I had to have my phone replaced 4 times over the 2+ years because of problems, but with Android phones and the relationships between the phone manufacturer, Verizon & Google, when something is wrong, nobody takes responsibility for the problems. Verizon just replaces the phone.

The only thing I miss about the Android Platform is the ability to have Widgets (Using a calendar widget I never miss an appointment or a birthday!). EVERYTHING ELSE about the iPhone 5 is better. I don't miss:

1) Forced closes
2) Apps that don't work
3) Phone freezing
4) Phone constantly dropping the 3g signal
5) Lag during apps and when moving between apps
6) Strange app functionality - No consistancy in apps
7) Apps and process that just drain your battery

This phone is so smooth. There is no lag. Apps just seem to work properly.

While I do miss the larger screen size, I do think the size of the iPhone 5 has a nice feel in your hand.

I really glad I made the switch!

Ken

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Similar story here, was Blackberry for so many years, then jumped over to Windows Phone (6!) and that was a horrible experience, probably put me off windows phones for life. Went back to blackberry for another couple of years and was happy.

Then started to notice some really cool apps, on both iPhone and Android, and nothing close on Blackberry. Then they started having issues, share price dropping and now trying to rescue whats left, so thought it was a good time to jump.

Went for a Motorola Droid Defy, and used it for a couple of months, but it was too small, nice phone, but I could not type on it. So jumped back to the latest blackberry bold 9790 as a last ditch attempt, but I hated it. Could not understand why with a qwerty keyboard and trackpad they also added a battery sucking touch screen. Still cannot understand it.

So I gave Android one more stab, got a motorola Droid Razr Maxx, purely wanting the same battery life I enjoyed for all those years on Blackberry.

Didnt even come close, ran that for a few months, but could not gel, it was too big, too thin, and too clumsy.

So then the i5 came out, and I thought maybe its time I got my first iPhone, and a week after launch a local Orange store had some in and I walked out with a 32gb White i5, and baring a few battery issues with the first one, my replacement has been great. Loving it.

My wife still loves her android and thinks the iPhone is way too big, she even thinks a iPhone 4 is too big!

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
So it's been a few days and there are some things that I really like and I couple things I miss not having. The biggest thing I love is the battery life! This phone easily lasts me a whole day, something that was never possible with my nexus. And I can actually play games and use my phone without worrying about my battery life. Huge plus!

The second is how nice and smooth everything feels.

Another is the simple layout, before I got my phone I thought it was a dumb layout but I actually like it. Another is the feel of the device itself. I thought it was gonna be a bit on the small side but I feels great in my hands, and the build quality/choice of materials is just top notch.

The thing I do miss from android is being able to use my music as my ringtone. I may have to buy a few games again but that's no big deal. And it's been a great experience so far and a great upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.