Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
What settings should I use to shrink bluray rips in Handbrake? I typically use the Apple TV 3 preset, but when doing Blurays they end up over 5GB? I'd like to get decent quality, but keep the size similar to DVD rips.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
What settings should I use to shrink bluray rips in Handbrake? I typically use the Apple TV 3 preset, but when doing Blurays they end up over 5GB? I'd like to get decent quality, but keep the size similar to DVD rips.

This isn't really possible. If you dont mind having your resolution downgraded to 720p instead of 1080po, use the ATV2 setting instead and you will end up with closer to 2GB file sizes that will look pretty good overall. The resolution is the main file size difference between a DVD rip and a Blu Ray rip.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
This isn't really possible. If you dont mind having your resolution downgraded to 720p instead of 1080po, use the ATV2 setting instead and you will end up with closer to 2GB file sizes that will look pretty good overall. The resolution is the main file size difference between a DVD rip and a Blu Ray rip.

I know it's not possible to keep it as good, I just don't want it to be terrible. Using the atv2 settings I assume it keeps the same aspect ratio and everything? The movies will look as good, or probably better, than the DVD rips?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I know it's not possible to keep it as good, I just don't want it to be terrible. Using the atv2 settings I assume it keeps the same aspect ratio and everything? The movies will look as good, or probably better, than the DVD rips?

They will definitely look better. It will still keep the aspect ratio, just reduce the overall resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (not counting cropping of black bars). This is how I store 90% of my blu ray rips to help with file sizes. The only time I do 1080p is when it is a movie I really like or I feel needs the extra resolution (Avatar is a prime example). I can certainly tell the difference on my 55" Samsung between the two, but its worth more to me to save the space on my limited server.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
They will definitely look better. It will still keep the aspect ratio, just reduce the overall resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (not counting cropping of black bars). This is how I store 90% of my blu ray rips to help with file sizes. The only time I do 1080p is when it is a movie I really like or I feel needs the extra resolution (Avatar is a prime example). I can certainly tell the difference on my 55" Samsung between the two, but its worth more to me to save the space on my limited server.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for to, to save space. If I really want the best quality I'll stick the bd in and watch it that way. This is more for my ipad anyway. Thanks again.

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
Is anyone else having trouble importing Handbrake BluRay rips into iTunes? I can still import a dvd rip fine, but not BluRay. I have tried using the menu to add file to library and drag and drop and nothing works. Pretty frustrating.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just change the RF to 23 for Blu-Ray, also turn on Web Optimized (speeds up loading)

RF23 at 1080p will still result in larger file sizes than RF20 at 720p. On top of that, the quality will end up looking worse as the bitrate will be too low to give a decent output.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I've used RF23 and it looks excellent to me. Another way to shrink the file size is don't use the AC3 soundtrack (just the mandatory AAC track) if you don't have a 5.1 sound setup. The ATV3 setting also uses high-profile.

A typical rip for me averages around 3GB with the AC3 soundtrack.

Storage space is pretty cheap.

PS I use the nightly build of Handbrake.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Not when you are like me and have 415 Blu Ray movies and around 1800 TV show episodes (mix of DVD and blu ray). I'm at 10TB and counting :D

How are you backing it up that 10TB?

I was a digital hoarder, problem was I'd really only watch a movie once or twice. Now I just use Netflix + unblock-us & iTunes plus a handful of movies & TV shows we might watch more than once on my NAS.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
How are you backing it up that 10TB?

I was a digital hoarder, problem was I'd really only watch a movie once or twice. Now I just use Netflix + unblock-us & iTunes plus a handful of movies & TV shows we might watch more than once on my NAS.

I have it all set up with a RAID 5 NAS currently with my most important stuff backed up to a 2TB external. If I have 2 drives go out then I'll probably let most of it go. I have all of my Blu Rays sitting in my storage unit though so its more of a point of not having to keep them around the house taking up space.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble importing Handbrake BluRay rips into iTunes? I can still import a dvd rip fine, but not BluRay. I have tried using the menu to add file to library and drag and drop and nothing works. Pretty frustrating.
If you are using iTunes 11, look for them in "Home Videos".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.