Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I'm looking for a app that could sync up to Dropbox and Box.net that would allow me to view and edit Word and Excel files I created on my iMac. I was thinking about Polaris office, can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks in advance

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I'm looking for a app that could sync up to Dropbox and Box.net that would allow me to view and edit Word and Excel files I created on my iMac. I was thinking about Polaris office, can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks in advance

I use Goodreader. Not sure if its exactly what your looking for though.

S

syd430

DocsToGo. Best .doc .xls compatibility out of the lot. Nothing else comes close. Quick Office, Polaris et al might have a slightly better interface but the compatibility just isn't there.

If compatibility is absolutely critical (I.e 99% compatibility from docstogo doesn't cut it), you're looking at CloudOn or your own Remote Desktop setup

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Pages and Numbers are available as well, even though they are separte apps. Don't know if you're looking for just one.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Pages and Numbers are available as well, even though they are separte apps. Don't know if you're looking for just one.

thats what i use. it syncs through icloud over all my devices. i can then convert and send the documents out via email or dropbox as needed. it will also automatically convert doc/xls files upon importing.

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Smart office 2 is quite nice. You can only sync with Dropbox and Google docs though.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I just used DocsToGo, hands down the best one I've used. It supported all the bullets and fonts. I'm impressed with it. I also have it linked to my DropBox, so every time I edit a file, it'll automatically upload to it.

ethan86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I've looked at some of these progrms and have narrowed it down to Smart Office 2 and Docs to Go. I'm on the fence about which one I want to purchase. Smart Office 2 only syncs with Dropbox and Google docs and it's 9.99. Docs to Go will sync with Dropbox and box.net, but it appears I can only do this with the 16.99 version. I'm leaning towards Smart Office 2. Can anyone throw anything out here that would push me one way or the other?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Thanks in advance

Google Drive. It's free and syncs across devices. It's what I use on my Macbook Air, and it syncs perfectly with my iPhone5 and iPad4.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Smart Office 2 has some ... odd ... choices in the interface. And it semi-regularly becomes free or very cheap - and it doesn't have retina display.

I haven't tried Pages, but I'd say if you're willing to spend money then I'd think its a better option. If you can wait then hold out for the next Smart Office 2 sale.

ethan86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I think the native (albeit) paid Numbers and Pages are a sensible option.

Do Pages and Numbers sync with any services besides iCloud? I don't use iWork at home, so I don't know how helpful the iOS apps will be if I can't sync them through another service.

Smart Office 2 has some ... odd ... choices in the interface. And it semi-regularly becomes free or very cheap - and it doesn't have retina display.

I haven't tried Pages, but I'd say if you're willing to spend money then I'd think its a better option. If you can wait then hold out for the next Smart Office 2 sale.

How often does Quick Office go on sale or is it at random?

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Do Pages and Numbers sync with any services besides iCloud? I don't use iWork at home, so I don't know how helpful the iOS apps will be if I can't sync them through another service.

Nope. The only other destination you can sync your Pages and Numbers iDevice data is to your Mac provided you are running OS X Mountain Lion.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
How often does Quick Office go on sale or is it at random?

Use AppShopper.com, create an account and it will notify you when apps that you mark as "want" go on sale. You can also look at the history to see what the prices are and have been. Very often you can see patterns from developers, has this app ever been free? Yes, it is free once a year around holiday, or they drop it to $0.99 every quarter for a few days. Etc... very, very helpful.

ethan86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Any opinions on the app Office2? I just read an (older) article on Maclife.com that mentioned this and saw it was $6 in the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.