Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and have recently bought a new Macbook Pro Retina, which I think is brilliant. However, I do have one question. I currently use Canon DPP on my Windows and Mac computers, with Gimp for final processing.

I was thinking of getting Aperture 3, but was wondering. If I bought 3 now, when version 4 became available, probably later this year. Would Apple give a free update?

Alan.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
They might give a free update if purchased during a qualifying period, but as there's no evidence that Aperture 4 is on the horizon it's probably safe to get it. Or you could try Adobe Lightroom (free 30 day trial).

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
if it was me, I might wait a bit (though nobody really likes the waiting part).

I'd mess with iPhoto as a start since it is free. you can then move the library into Aperture when you do decide to buy it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and have recently bought a new Macbook Pro Retina, which I think is brilliant. However, I do have one question. I currently use Canon DPP on my Windows and Mac computers, with Gimp for final processing.

I was thinking of getting Aperture 3, but was wondering. If I bought 3 now, when version 4 became available, probably later this year. Would Apple give a free update?

Alan.

What is the point of waiting? If you need Aperture now buy it now. If you don't need Aperture just don't buy it, ever. Seriously, if you need it , you need it. If you don't, you don't. If you find you are happy to wait a year for a new version then you don't need the software at all.

If you buy it and a new version comes out within a month they will give you the new version, Apple always has a 30 day deal on upgrades like that. Also Aperture is no longer very expensive the "cost" is now in the learning to use it. The sooner you start the better.

If you wait you might have to wait a year, who knows

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Hi everyone.

Alan.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you'd get any kind of free upgrade from Aperture 3 when a newer version is released.

There's obviously no official mention of a new version of aperture at present, however I believe some people expect new information around the same time the new Mac Pro launches. This would make sense if Apple plans to keep Aperture part of its Pro app suite (alongside Logic & FCP), however it's nothing more than a rumour.

Do you NEED aperture in the near future? If not, then I think both suggestions above are worth considering. Try using both lightroom and iPhoto free of charge for the next month or so to see which you like best. Lightroom obviously offers more features, however if you prefer the UI of iPhoto then it's quite likely that you'll also prefer the UI of Aperture. On the other hand, if you find you prefer lightroom then there's no need to wait for the next version of Aperture - just buy lightroom 5 instead.

Hope that helps.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'd wait until after the OS X release. Perhaps they'll release by Christmas time. But this is Aperture we're talking about...

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I had been using iPhoto and got to the point where I needed more capability. I prefer the Apple UI over Adobe's so went with Aperture about a month ago. If I had to buy an upgraded version in a few months, the additional cost wouldn't bother me.

iPhoto can be a good starting point and the work you do is easily transferred to Aperture at a later date.

killwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have decided to get Aperture 3 and then if I do have to upgrade at a later date, so be it. I can't really complain as I have a Gift Card for the value of £70 to spend in the app store, which will cover the purchase cost easily.:)

Yabbietol

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Rumour of aperture 4 release date

Does anyone have an idea if we are heading to an Aperture 4 release date in mid October. I heard a very unconfirmed rumour that it would be out early to mid October (2013).
Does anyone have a clue when it might be out?

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Does anyone have an idea if we are heading to an Aperture 4 release date in mid October. I heard a very unconfirmed rumour that it would be out early to mid October (2013).
Does anyone have a clue when it might be out?

Nobody has a clue, as this kind of development is kept under tight wraps within Apple. For example, the recent (and magnificent) new version of Logic Pro came as a bolt out of the blue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.