Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
So I noticed about 5 dead pixels along the right side of the screen, you can only see them when the screen is black. I noticed it when I was watching a movie in landscape. I decided not to get a replacement to see if maybe it would fix itself over time. But the opposite has happened. It's has gotten considerably worse, I now have 20-30 dead pixels along the same side. Anyone have a similar experience?

Now I need advice on getting a replacement since I have never needed one. I want the process to be as seamless as possible.

So I know the common sense things like I need to backup my phone and schedule an appointment with a genius. Should I set up the phone as new? Do I need to bring my original box w/ accessories? Any advice on the replacement process will be appreciated.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
They'll wipe it when you're there, in fact they'll have you push the button to erase it. No need to bring the original box or anything else, just the phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes, back up your iPhone. You can do it via iTunes, though if you backup over iCloud, you'll be able to restore onto your replacement right there at the Apple store.

You do not need to bring in anything else. Just the phone.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
If it is possible please take a picture of your phone and upload it here, another user have the same issue and never posted a picture.

If you don't have another camera maybe with a mirror you could take the photo to see how bad is your iphone.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
photo.jpg

It is barely noticeable under normal lighting conditions, but if you're in the dark, it stands out. This isn't even all of the pixels, I fit what I could in the frame. It's only on one side of the screen too.

If I were to schedule an appointment with a genius, would they think it was weird if my phone was wiped already?

How does Apple deal with walk ins when you are looking to get a replacement?

----------

If it is possible please take a picture of your phone and upload it here, another user have the same issue and never posted a picture.

If you don't have another camera maybe with a mirror you could take the photo to see how bad is your iphone.

Photo posted.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Make an appointment. Takes 1 minute. They will replace it if they can see the pixels. Save a black picture to show them. What's the hold up?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Make an appointment. Takes 1 minute. They will replace it if they can see the pixels. Save a black picture to show them. What's the hold up?

That's the plan, I'll make the appointment when I have the time to go to the Apple Store. Just seeing if anyone else had similar problems with their screen.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
That's the plan, I'll make the appointment when I have the time to go to the Apple Store. Just seeing if anyone else had similar problems with their screen.

Yes they will replace it no questions asked I have exchanged about 7 phones with only one stuck pixel without any problems.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I havent had an iphone with a dead pixel since the 3GS....But even still, i've never even seen it as bad as yours.

i literally WTF'd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.