Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
tgi
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 Dead Pixel Problem, Less Than a Month Old

So I noticed about 5 dead pixels along the right side of the screen, you can only see them when the screen is black. I noticed it when I was watching a movie in landscape. I decided not to get a replacement to see if maybe it would fix itself over time. But the opposite has happened. It's has gotten considerably worse, I now have 20-30 dead pixels along the same side. Anyone have a similar experience?

Now I need advice on getting a replacement since I have never needed one. I want the process to be as seamless as possible.

So I know the common sense things like I need to backup my phone and schedule an appointment with a genius. Should I set up the phone as new? Do I need to bring my original box w/ accessories? Any advice on the replacement process will be appreciated.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

They'll wipe it when you're there, in fact they'll have you push the button to erase it. No need to bring the original box or anything else, just the phone.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Yes, back up your iPhone. You can do it via iTunes, though if you backup over iCloud, you'll be able to restore onto your replacement right there at the Apple store.

You do not need to bring in anything else. Just the phone.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Backup your info then just make an appointment and bring in the phone only.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:54 PM   #5
lke
macrumors 6502

If it is possible please take a picture of your phone and upload it here, another user have the same issue and never posted a picture.

If you don't have another camera maybe with a mirror you could take the photo to see how bad is your iphone.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
tgi
macrumors 6502a

It is barely noticeable under normal lighting conditions, but if you're in the dark, it stands out. This isn't even all of the pixels, I fit what I could in the frame. It's only on one side of the screen too.

If I were to schedule an appointment with a genius, would they think it was weird if my phone was wiped already?

How does Apple deal with walk ins when you are looking to get a replacement?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
If it is possible please take a picture of your phone and upload it here, another user have the same issue and never posted a picture.

If you don't have another camera maybe with a mirror you could take the photo to see how bad is your iphone.
Photo posted.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
tgi
macrumors 6502a

No one with a similar issue?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Jalopybox
Banned

Make an appointment. Takes 1 minute. They will replace it if they can see the pixels. Save a black picture to show them. What's the hold up?
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:27 PM   #9
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
Make an appointment. Takes 1 minute. They will replace it if they can see the pixels. Save a black picture to show them. What's the hold up?
That's the plan, I'll make the appointment when I have the time to go to the Apple Store. Just seeing if anyone else had similar problems with their screen.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #10
ToyGun1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
That's the plan, I'll make the appointment when I have the time to go to the Apple Store. Just seeing if anyone else had similar problems with their screen.
Yes they will replace it no questions asked I have exchanged about 7 phones with only one stuck pixel without any problems.
ToyGun1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:46 PM   #11
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

I havent had an iphone with a dead pixel since the 3GS....But even still, i've never even seen it as bad as yours.

i literally WTF'd
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone