Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I recently upgraded my stock HDD to a Samsung 840 SSD, which is a clone of my original HDD. Ever since I installed the SSD, f.lux no longer works.

It tells me it is at 2300K (the Candle setting) yet it is bright as when I move the slider to the complete end of the spectrum. Nothing changes between Daylight and Sunset. Un-installing and re-installing multiple times have done nothing too.

For those with SSD's, does f.lux work for you?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Working fine for me with a home brew fusion drive, i didn't clone and restore that way however, i fresh installed everything for a cleaner machine, time consuming i know, but less chance of hiccoughs like this happening i feel.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Working fine for me with a home brew fusion drive, i didn't clone and restore that way however, i fresh installed everything for a cleaner machine, time consuming i know, but less chance of hiccoughs like this happening i feel.

I think I may do the same actually. I'm in the process of moving all important files to an external HDD and then I think I'll do a clean ML install and then move just what I want back. Is that what you did?

I really need f.lux as it helps so much with my eyes and sleeping when I use my computer at night, plus just starting from scratch is good too.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
witout flux my eyes would be ruined, i had no idea how big an impact it actually made, initially i started using it on my iPad because it was too bright to read books on in bed under just the backlight (even on minimum brightness) and i was so impressed it is now installed under windows and Mac OSX on all my home systems.

When i put my SSD in i also removed the supadrive and dropped a caddy in its place for the old hard disk, then i booted of a ML USB key and created a new Fusion Drive. I just re-installed all my software from the network Drobo as a clean install

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Well, I fixed the issue and I have no idea why this fixed it .. but I just logged out of my user account and logged back in and it was instantly working. Very strange.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
what's that good about f.lux? Didn't know before..

f.lux

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.