Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Grandfathered Unlimited Verizon Internet Gone w/iPhone 5 upgrade: Workaround?

I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon with unlimited internet. Because of this and the lack of home internet i tether my iPhone 4's 3G to my iPad and macbook pro all the time. Specifically to the tune of 30GBs a month.

I want to take advantage of the best buy free upgrade to iPhone 5 but i don't want to lose my unlimited data, which i tether jailbrokenly with tetherme.

Aside from buying an iPhone 5 outright do you think theres a way to upgrade with best buy and still keep my unlimited data?
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Teh Don Ditty
macrumors G4
 
Teh Don Ditty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
You have to buy the iPhone at full retail price to keep unlimited data.
__________________
I heard that Steve Job's Kool-Aid fueled Unicorn craps rainbows which emits the RDF.
Disgusting
Teh Don Ditty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
No workaround. It's been pretty clear for a while now that you have to pay full price to keep unlimited data on VZW. You have to return it, try to get the upgrade reversed, and pay full price for the iPhone. Only way to get it back (even then, I doubt they'll give it back after the upgrade went through)
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon with unlimited internet. Because of this and the lack of home internet i tether my iPhone 4's 3G to my iPad and macbook pro all the time. Specifically to the tune of 30GBs a month.

I want to take advantage of the best buy free upgrade to iPhone 5 but i don't want to lose my unlimited data, which i tether jailbrokenly with tetherme.

Aside from buying an iPhone 5 outright do you think theres a way to upgrade with best buy and still keep my unlimited data?
My understanding of Verizon's policy is the same as Teh Don Ditty above. I don't believe there are any legitimate work arounds.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Luckily I have not yet ordered the iPhone 5. I've only asked her on the floor, and I intend to hold out on a purchase until I can figure out a solution to keep my unlimited Internet.
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #6
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 68000
 
KUguardgrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas, USA
Unfortunately I don't think there is a workaround. Our plan was changed when my mom got an iPad 4th gen even before I got my iPhone 5. I think you lose the grandfathering as soon as you change anything.
KUguardgrl13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:42 PM   #7
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Even if you get the 5, you cannot jailbreak it to tether once more because it will probably come preloaded with iOS 6.1.4.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
taedouni
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Open another line on your account. Activate the iPhone 5 on that line then go to a Verizon store and have them swap phones (5 to your old line vice versa).

Then put a dumb phone on the new line. That way you only pay $10 extra a month. That's what I did to get an iPhone 5

Be sure to specify that you do NOT want a share everything plan.
taedouni is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes.
You can either add a line or pay full price.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:20 PM   #10
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Aside from buying an iPhone 5 outright do you think theres a way to upgrade with best buy and still keep my unlimited data?
^ What he said.
Otherwise, nope.
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:54 PM   #11
rockitdog
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Luckily I have not yet ordered the iPhone 5. I've only asked her on the floor, and I intend to hold out on a purchase until I can figure out a solution to keep my unlimited Internet.
Your solution is to buy the iPhone at full retail price. Not sure what workaround your hoping for. It's pretty simple, IMO.
__________________
Talk nerdy to me!
|13" late 2012 MBP | Black Ipad 2
Space Gray iPhone 6
rockitdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:02 AM   #12
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 68000
 
KUguardgrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Even if you get the 5, you cannot jailbreak it to tether once more because it will probably come preloaded with iOS 6.1.4.
You can tether on Verizon. It's either $20/month with the old plans or taken out of your data allotment. I do it with my MBP. No extra apps or jailbreaking.
KUguardgrl13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:48 AM   #13
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a
 
JoshGlzBrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
You have three options:
  1. Buy your phone at full price.
  2. Assuming you have a family plan with two or more lines, you can transfer your upgrade to another line on your account and upgrade with that line and after activating the phone on that line, you can move the phone back to your unlimited line.
  3. If you're on an individual plan, it is still possible to turn it into the old style family plans. Which the new line will be eligible for 2 year pricing. (This cannot be done in stores and has to be done over the phone)
__________________
iPhone 6 16GB Gold (Verizon unlimited LTE) | iPhone 5 | 2012 15" rMBP 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB | iPad 3 |iPhone 4S | 2011 13" MBA | iPad 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 3GS | 2012 15" MBP (Sold 4/24/2012)
JoshGlzBrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:01 AM   #14
siurpeeman
macrumors 603
 
siurpeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the OC
Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
Open another line on your account. Activate the iPhone 5 on that line then go to a Verizon store and have them swap phones (5 to your old line vice versa).

Then put a dumb phone on the new line. That way you only pay $10 extra a month. That's what I did to get an iPhone 5
it's an additional $10 if you already have a family plan. if he's on an individual line, adding a second line would require him to subscribe to a more expensive family plan, which i believe starts at $59.99 (for 700 minutes vs $39.99 for 450 minutes). add the extra $10 for the new line, and i think he's looking at an additional $30/mo going this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
You have three options:
  1. Buy your phone at full price.
  2. Assuming you have a family plan with two or more lines, you can transfer your upgrade to another line on your account and upgrade with that line and after activating the phone on that line, you can move the phone back to your unlimited line.
  3. If you're on an individual plan, it is still possible to turn it into the old style family plans. Which the new line will be eligible for 2 year pricing. (This cannot be done in stores and has to be done over the phone)
is it possible to combine options two and three? calling verizon to to create a new line without using a subsidy and signing a contract, transferring his upgrade to the new line, and then canceling the new line and reverting back to an individual plan after the upgrade is complete?

the only issue i would see is that he'd need a phone (any phone) to take over the new line so that it can receive the transferred upgrade.
__________________
grr...argh...

Last edited by siurpeeman; Jun 22, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
siurpeeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:23 AM   #15
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a
 
JoshGlzBrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
is it possible to combine options two and three? calling verizon to to create a new line without using a subsidy and signing a contract, transferring his upgrade to the new line, and then canceling the new line and reverting back to an individual plan after the upgrade is complete?

the only issue i would see is that he'd need a phone (any phone) to take over the new line so that it can receive the transferred upgrade.
I thought about that as another option, but I'm not 100% sure on how it works in that situation. I'm assuming that when an upgrade is transferred from one line to another, and the line receiving it uses the upgrade, it locks that line into a new 2 year contract so you can't just remove that line after you get the new phone at 2 yr pricing. So unless he wants to pay an ETF... I don't think it would work.
__________________
iPhone 6 16GB Gold (Verizon unlimited LTE) | iPhone 5 | 2012 15" rMBP 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB | iPad 3 |iPhone 4S | 2011 13" MBA | iPad 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 3GS | 2012 15" MBP (Sold 4/24/2012)
JoshGlzBrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:29 AM   #16
siurpeeman
macrumors 603
 
siurpeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the OC
Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
I thought about that as another option, but I'm not 100% sure on how it works in that situation. I'm assuming that when an upgrade is transferred from one line to another, and the line receiving it uses the upgrade, it locks that line into a new 2 year contract so you can't just remove that line after you get the new phone at 2 yr pricing. So unless he wants to pay an ETF... I don't think it would work.
i might be wrong, but i thought the line whose upgrade is transferred gets re-upped for a two year agreement, not the line that receives the upgrade.
__________________
grr...argh...
siurpeeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:33 AM   #17
JoshGlzBrk
macrumors 6502a
 
JoshGlzBrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
i might be wrong, but i thought the line whose upgrade is transferred gets re-upped for a two year agreement, not the line that receives the upgrade.
I might be wrong too on that detail as well. I'm not sure which line receives the contract, which is why I left it out as an option earlier.
__________________
iPhone 6 16GB Gold (Verizon unlimited LTE) | iPhone 5 | 2012 15" rMBP 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB | iPad 3 |iPhone 4S | 2011 13" MBA | iPad 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 3GS | 2012 15" MBP (Sold 4/24/2012)
JoshGlzBrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:50 AM   #18
siurpeeman
macrumors 603
 
siurpeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the OC
Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
I might be wrong too on that detail as well. I'm not sure which line receives the contract, which is why I left it out as an option earlier.
when I think about it further, it makes more sense that the contract would get renewed for the line that qualified for the upgrade. imagine a family plan with two lines, A and B, and let's say both lines are upgrade eligible. B upgrades and gets a new phone, while A transfers the upgrade and B gets another new phone. if the contract was renewed for the line that got the upgrade, B would be the only one under contract (but got two upgrades). A could cancel at any time and not be penalized for early termination, or both lines could cancel but only one etf fee would be charged. it gets worse when you imagine a family plan with five or six lines.

all said, I think the add a line, transfer, then cancel is worth looking into for the op. he gets a subsidy, stays with just one line, and is tied to a two year contract (as he should be).
siurpeeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:54 AM   #19
taedouni
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
it's an additional $10 if you already have a family plan. if he's on an individual line, adding a second line would require him to subscribe to a more expensive family plan, which i believe starts at $59.99 (for 700 minutes vs $39.99 for 450 minutes). add the extra $10 for the new line, and i think he's looking at an additional $30/mo going this route.



is it possible to combine options two and three? calling verizon to to create a new line without using a subsidy and signing a contract, transferring his upgrade to the new line, and then canceling the new line and reverting back to an individual plan after the upgrade is complete?

the only issue i would see is that he'd need a phone (any phone) to take over the new line so that it can receive the transferred upgrade.
He can call Verizon and ask about the 550 minute loyalty Verizon plan.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon? iStorm iPhone 47 Jan 20, 2013 08:12 PM
How do Corporate Discounts work on Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited? Starfyre iPhone 2 Oct 15, 2012 06:00 PM
Question about Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Plan Starfyre iPhone 5 Oct 14, 2012 11:22 AM
Who has the better grandfathered unlimited option, AT&T or Verizon? El3ctronics iPhone 54 Oct 12, 2012 08:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC