Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Kodak was a film company. An expert in film. They couldn't save themselves because film died.

They could have started selling Kodak toothpaste or digital cameras but that would not have 'saved' the company. It would have just been a different company with a very similar sounding name.

Well, film is died because Kodak acted like Nokia on R&D in the last years. Sigma does a nice work using the film concept (3-layers RGB sensor). Color rendering on Foveon sensors are the best in the market.

Also, even the chemical film could be innovated, making processing and scanning easier to the end user. However, in the last years Kodak concentrated their efforts on making cheap digital cameras and pushing the printing business. It isn't the film that was becoming obsolete, but the idea of printing pictures in paper. An easy develop-and-scan (share) device would probably make film live longer.

By the way, I still take pictures with my 135 reflex cameras sometimes. I have a Nikon Coolscan V (launched in 2005) scanner which outputs 20MP digital pictures in 14-bit per channel. The results are pretty impressive even in 2012. If I had a 120-format camera and a Nikon 9000 scanner, the results would pair most recent medium format digital cameras.

In short, it's not the film that died, but the way Kodak (and Fujifilm, although Fuji is acting pretty well in the digital camera market) carried its business.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
You're joking right? Kodak's professional film was and still is the standard. I'm a professional photographer (a real one, not an ex-dentist that now takes pictures of pregnant moms and pets) and when I shoot film only use Kodak. Tri-x is THE legendary b&w film. Kodachrome is a beyond iconic color film and Portra is a spectacular color negative film.

So, while Kodak screwed a lot of things up, professional film was never one of them.

I wouldn't be sorry to see Tri-X bite the dust. It's an overrated film, and is inferior to HP5. I've never understood the raves it gets.

Portra is a terrific film, though, and if I could pick only one emulsion to save, it would be Portra 400. Somehow, that film has to be saved. I do most of my best work when using film, and these days that means color film. I use Portra 400 for almost everything (which for me means photographing people).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.