Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasphair

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Hi all,

I just ordered a 27" iMac through an Apple reseller near me. They expect it to come in in about a week or so. When they asked me about the AppleCare, I declined just for the sake of wanting to wait until I have some extra spending money to cover that part. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake?

I know Apple says you can add AppleCare within the first year. Is this a hassle to do? The site also says "Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan." What is this all about? Am I missing out on something down the road by adding AppleCare in a few weeks, as opposed to the original purchase/invoice? The reseller told me they cannot sell AppleCare independently, and that by declining with my purchase, I would need to obtain it elsewhere (or presumably cancel my whole order and start over again).

Is this something to stress over?

Cheers

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Only difference is that you only get 90 days of phone support until you buy AppleCare.

You can buy the box/code online for cheaper from bhphotovideo, la computer, or others. Then you just enter the code online and submit a copy of your receipt if requested. Pretty easy :)

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I ordered BTO online but was told in the Apple store that I could order AppleCare any time within the year and still get back-to-school pricing (only available if computer was purchased under BTS program I presume).

Difference between buying now and later is that telephone tech support service is free for only 3 months unless you have purchased AppleCare; if you don't buy it within the 90 days there will be a gap in coverage but it will be re-activated with your AppleCare purchase. Should not be a big deal since you can probably get the the free telephone support pretty quickly when you do sign up, you may just find youself in a pinch for a brief period without the free telephone support.

The following link (Canadian site) includes a chart that shows the coverage:

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/mac.html

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
If the Mac is damaged beyond repair (not manufacturer's defect) within the first 12 months extended warranty purchased nothing. Apple Support Communities provides better tech support than calling Apple IMHO.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Bought my Applecare a few months after computer purchase. I waited to see if I could find a good price for it from a reseller. When I did and was confident it was legit (bought boxed Applecare, not just code), I saved just slightly under half price. Registered online and couple of days later received confirmation email from Apple saying Applecare was all good and expiration date.

You have up to a year to get it. My only suggestion is get a boxed Applecare. Have your receipts ready if Apple request them. Never had that happen but you never know.

wes2006ag

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Houston
Is there anything to worry about when purchasing Applecare from Ebay? There is a $99.99 option that would save me a little money.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Is there anything to worry about when purchasing Applecare from Ebay? There is a $99.99 option that would save me a little money.

Yes, you have to be extremely careful because may sellers use fake codes. They will work to register however when you try to use AppleCare Apple will find out and revoke it leaving you out $99.99 and the bill for the repair. Not worth a few bucks, buy it from B&H Photo for $122 and it's genuine.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
apple care

Apple care is the best bargain out there. Don't screw around, buy it from Apple directly. I have had two mac mini's and 5 magic mouses replaced FREE under Apple care. You can call the 800 number and order it by giving them a credit card. I would NEVER buy an apple computer without this great program..never
its too good to pass up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.