Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
richxps
macrumors 6502a

iPhoto album question

Hi, when I create new albumns in iPhoto is this creating another copy of my photo, which than increases the size if my iPhoto library ?
richxps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richxps View Post
Hi, when I create new albumns in iPhoto is this creating another copy of my photo, which than increases the size if my iPhoto library ?
No it does not create another copy of the photos. The album is just a pointer to the original.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
richxps
macrumors 6502a

That's for the reply, why than does it seem to have doubled in size ? I have 11k photos and its over 45 gb
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
That's for the reply, why than does it seem to have doubled in size ? I have 11k photos and its over 45 gb
It would not be from the albums. One thing that does happen though is when you bring up a photo and adjust/edit it in any way, like to fix red-eye or brighten it up... iPhoto keeps the original photo and creates a duplicate edited photo. So if say you import 30 photos and edit them all... you end up with 60 photos stored on the drive.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:25 PM   #5
richxps
macrumors 6502a

Thanks again, I never made any adjustments, all I did was transfer my library from a external hd to my Mac , I'm thinking 11k photos should be around 30gb ,
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thanks again, I never made any adjustments, all I did was transfer my library from a external hd to my Mac , I'm thinking 11k photos should be around 30gb ,
That sounds about right to me too. Click a recent photo in iPhoto then do command-i to see the photo info to look at the size. If you are saving really high res. photos in some ginormous file size, I guess that could all add up.

I have about 6,000 photos and the library is 8GB. Some of my older photos are relatively low res. though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store