Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all,

I have a 32GB iPod Touch from a few years ago...model MC544LL with iOS 4.3.5 (8L1) installed.

I need to upgrade this to iOS 5.0 since many apps require it. The problem is, I can't figure out how because as of October 2012, iTunes 10.x is pushing iOS 6.0 instead of 5.0...and I do not want 6.0 on this device. I guess I should have upgraded to 5.0 before 6.0 was released. Also, I do NOT want to upgrade my iTunes 10.x (on Windows) to 11.x.

Here are the methods I've tried to no avail:

1)Backed up my pc
2)followed instructions to force iTunes to offer me the ability to choose a local file to upgrade to 5.0 instead of contacting the iTunes/Apple mothership and getting 6.0
3)#2 fails even though it is the right file and iTunes is definitely new enough to know about 5.0...all my other iOS devices are on 5.0

The only other method I can think of is to:
1)somehow nuke the Touch (I don't know what those steps are...likely some combination of the Home key and power button)
2)somehow get iTunes 10.x to install iOS 5.0 on it...even if it is a new iTunes 10.x install on a 2nd pc.
3)after successful 5.0 installation, plug the Touch into my original iTunes machine which should tell me it is synced to another iTunes and do I want to wipe it and sync it with the original iTunes...AND KEEP iOS 5.0.

If you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it...and the more details you have, that would be great. It truly is a shame that Apple forces me to get their newest iOS **AND** their newest iTunes just for me to get most apps working on a 1.5 year old Touch. :(

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Short answer: you can't. 6.x or bust.

Slightly longer answer: Apple no longer digitally signs 5.x, and thus it cannot be installed unless you made special preparations when that firmware was still being signed.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Thanks, burgundyyears. I'm wondering if there is a way to put iOS 6.x on it but NOT upgrade my iTunes 10.5.2.11. Think I can do the upgrade on a different pc, then bring it back to my original iTunes 10.5.2.11 pc and re-set it up? Or do you think iTunes 10.5.2.11 is going to complain that it has not idea what iOS 6.0 is when I plug in my Touch?

I have so many devices that I just don't want to muck around with new iTunes versions...not only paranoia of something breaking, but just the outright disgust for Apple always forcing me to upgrade iTunes to get some update for 1 device out of 7.

Thanks again.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks, burgundyyears. I'm wondering if there is a way to put iOS 6.x on it but NOT upgrade my iTunes 10.5.2.11. Think I can do the upgrade on a different pc, then bring it back to my original iTunes 10.5.2.11 pc and re-set it up? Or do you think iTunes 10.5.2.11 is going to complain that it has not idea what iOS 6.0 is when I plug in my Touch?

I have so many devices that I just don't want to muck around with new iTunes versions...not only paranoia of something breaking, but just the outright disgust for Apple always forcing me to upgrade iTunes to get some update for 1 device out of 7.

Thanks again.

iTunes 10.7 introduced iOS 6 support, so I don't think it will work with 10.5 once you update to iOS 6. Since 5.x introduced OTA updates, you won't need to rely on itunes to upgrade at least anymore after this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.