Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
IzzyJG99
macrumors 6502

iTunes 11 Incoming Request Bug.

Just updated to iTunes 11 after doing a restore. iTunes 11 was working fine for a while. I get around to adding my iPad and iPhone to iTunes, which I wirelessly sync. Instantly every time I open iTunes 11 it asks me to allow or deny incoming connections. iTunes is already allowed to come through the firewall. Never had this problem before. I switched my iPhone and iPad to connect only via the cable and not wirelessly and the bug stops. Obviously iTunes 11 in some cases is viewing incoming connections via Wi-Fi from iOS devices as a threat and requests permission each time.

Reported the bug to Apple. I doubt anything will come of it. But I thought I'd share to see how many people are experiencing this issue.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
redseagoby
macrumors newbie

incoming request bug

same here on 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, except in my case I sync using the cable, directly with iTunes. Stumped Level 2 Apple Support (but this was after Level 1 support told me to delete my entire system cache, which introduced a serious Time Machine bug/error causing it to never complete. I got rid of that after some serious hacking and terminal command line repair sequences. Be careful - the bug is far less of a problem than that "cure" which didn't work was).
redseagoby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Macmonter
macrumors member

iTunes 11 Incoming Request Bug

Yes! I have it, too! It keeps coming back every time I open iTunes even though I click "ALLOW" every time. Aggravating, but I'll live with it until fixes it.

2008 Mac Pro 3.1, 2X 2.8 GHz Quad, 6 GB RAM, 320 GB + 1.5 TB + 3TB internal HD, 2 TB external HD, OS 10.6.8, 27" NEC Multisync EA273WM
Macmonter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

What apps on your iDevices might you have in common ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Macmonter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
What apps on your iDevices might you have in common ?
I have no iDevices! The message returns repeatedly even when "DENY" selected, and no boxes checked under "STORE" in Preferences

2008 Mac Pro 3.1, 2X 2.8 GHz Quad, 6 GB RAM, 320 GB + 1.5 TB + 3TB internal HD, 2 TB external HD, OS 10.6.8, 27" NEC Multisync EA273WM
Macmonter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:50 PM   #6
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyJG99 View Post
Just updated to iTunes 11 after doing a restore. iTunes 11 was working fine for a while. I get around to adding my iPad and iPhone to iTunes, which I wirelessly sync. Instantly every time I open iTunes 11 it asks me to allow or deny incoming connections. iTunes is already allowed to come through the firewall. Never had this problem before. I switched my iPhone and iPad to connect only via the cable and not wirelessly and the bug stops. Obviously iTunes 11 in some cases is viewing incoming connections via Wi-Fi from iOS devices as a threat and requests permission each time.

Reported the bug to Apple. I doubt anything will come of it. But I thought I'd share to see how many people are experiencing this issue.
I was having the same exact issue with iTunes 11 always requesting permission.. I had to uninstall iTunes 11 (which wasn't easy) and reinstall from Apple.com website instead of AppStore update. Now that that is fixed.. I'm having an issue now where my Apple TV2 will disconnect from home sharing when the iMac goes to sleep after 10 minutes.. frustrating! I seem to think the firewall is the culprit.. going to disable the firewall completely and see if it improves.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:45 AM   #7
bucksaddle
macrumors regular

Although you may have not seen it in previous versions of iTunes I've had this issue periodically since about iTunes 9, including point releases, on different Macs. It's happended to me again in iTunes 11 so I wouldn't hold out hope on Apple fixing it.
There is a solution as JRoDDz mentions but it means removing iTunes.app by the Terminal, as you can't just drag the app to the Trash, and then re-install from apple.com.
Just Google for "sudo remove itunes". Don't worry, it will only remove the app and not your Library and when you re-install from the download the firewall message should be gone.
bucksaddle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksaddle View Post
Although you may have not seen it in previous versions of iTunes I've had this issue periodically since about iTunes 9, including point releases, on different Macs.
Same for me - and for some reason it always disappeared sooner or later. Don't know why, but I certainly didn't remove and reinstalled the app.

This time it started with a clean install which I've done some days ago, iTunes 11 wasn't the reason, as I used it before.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:42 AM   #9
e4xit
macrumors newbie

I have a completely fresh install of ML on late 2012 iMac 21.5" and it happens.

Basically, I added my music and imported my old library from my windoze 7 machine, then enabled the firewall in system prefs and its happening.!?

This can't be right, surely this isn't the hassle-free OSX I've been bearing so much about!

But seriously, it is a little annoying; if anyone has a fix, please let me know...

Also here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4692937
e4xit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:46 AM   #10
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4xit View Post
I have a completely fresh install of ML on late 2012 iMac 21.5" and it happens.

Basically, I added my music and imported my old library from my windoze 7 machine, then enabled the firewall in system prefs and its happening.!?

This can't be right, surely this isn't the hassle-free OSX I've been bearing so much about!

But seriously, it is a little annoying; if anyone has a fix, please let me know...

Also here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4692937
See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1525142
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:49 AM   #11
e4xit
macrumors newbie

Will try. Thanks!

this won't delete my iTunes library file or backups or anything right?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:39 AM   #12
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4xit View Post
Will try. Thanks!

this won't delete my iTunes library file or backups or anything right?
If you follow the steps in that thread, the only thing you will delete is the iTunes application in the Applications folder. Your library will not be touched.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:44 AM   #13
e4xit
macrumors newbie

Lovely job.

Will try tonight when I get home, perhaps making a backup of the library file first, just in case y'know!...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store