Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.

Except that it does. Language is not static, and if the common usage of the word changes, it changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use language, there simply is the way it is used and how it has evolved.

(I work with linguists on a daily basis... believe me, I have heard this lecture far too often...)

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
My biggest fear was that the ID sensor would not work with full enclosure cases. Glad to see it is possible.

I wish I worked in a field where I didn't need to protect my electronics from being banded up and covered in all kinds of body secretions and excretions. I learned the lesson the hard way- the smell of vomit can never be fully removed from an iPhone :(

What the hell were you doing???

----------

not really...where's armor series?

Agreed. Want to be able to watch Orange is the new black in the shower.

----------

Except that it does. Language is not static, and if the common usage of the word changes, it changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use language, there simply is the way it is used and how it has evolved.

(I work with linguists on a daily basis... believe me, I have heard this lecture far too often...)

Thank you! I too deal with this on a regular basis. To me as long as I can understand the language and communicate, then it is all good. Of course this is dependant on the context of the communication.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
What I fail to understand is if the competition can make a waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, drop proof phone, why can't Apple?

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah. I'd LOVE to have a naked iPhone, but try working in wetland remediation with one for a day. Sandy and wet muddy hands. Crossing rivers in waders. Running across sites to talk to excavator operators. I destroyed two iPhones before deciding you could NOT do my job and own and iPhone without a really great case.

ZLM

Last edited:

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I work weekends as an EMT in the club and party district of town. Sometimes the patients resent you, so they purposely aim at you. You never get use to the smell.

You sir are a good man. I must say the smell of vomit is not one that I would recognize coming from a phone.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I am one of this guys where the phone goes in rough environments,
and think they're great, but I think a total waterproof one is the only reason I'd want another one.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
Not otter box but Apple

Not otter box but Apple should be getting credit for ensuring that the touch ID sensor works with screen protectors. I'm sure Apple had done a ton of innovation here to ensure that ALL screen protectors work (including otter box).

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.

Wish I could upvote this multiple times...

What I fail to understand is if the competition can make a waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, drop proof phone, why can't Apple?

If Apple had to stand behind these claims, the line at the Apple stores would wrap half way around the city. Pretty sure even if they did release an "effectively ______proof" phone they wouldn't market it as such... as it is the iPhone 5C looks pretty darn durable.

hitman0341

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
I saw that in the news section of the search results, when I was looking to see if life proof had announced anything about the 5S.

damn i created an account just to talk about this very subject. Well nice meeting you guys. i hope to get tons of new info from this site.

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
no shiat sherlock ;)

----------

"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".

Next you are going to tell me that "You should of called" and "each one grabbed their pencil" are "officially changed"

Stupidity is not a change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.