Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I'm assuming my only solution is buying a new one? I do have the remote app so its not that big of a deal. I looked on Apple's website and they didn't have anything besides schedule a call. Didn't really feel like scheduling a call for something I'm pretty sure they won't just send me a new one :)

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
I'm assuming my only solution is buying a new one? I do have the remote app so its not that big of a deal. I looked on Apple's website and they didn't have anything besides schedule a call. Didn't really feel like scheduling a call for something I'm pretty sure they won't just send me a new one :)

yea buy a new one.. i dont assume u were expecting them to send u one for free?

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
A universal remote will work too, such as a Logitech Harmony series, that's what I use on my Apple TV.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
yea buy a new one.. i dont assume u were expecting them to send u one for free?

Nah, I was seeing what other options were out there. However I saw the suggestion of using a Logitech universal remote. I have the Harmony 1, so I'll probably try to sync that up. Thanks!

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Nah, I was seeing what other options were out there. However I saw the suggestion of using a Logitech universal remote. I have the Harmony 1, so I'll probably try to sync that up. Thanks!

The Apple TV works great with the harmony remotes.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I guess nobody has actually looked for alternative remote in this thread besides the universal route.

You can actually "train" any remote to work with ATV under Settings. I have my Comcast remote working as ATV remote right now under aux function, albeit it sucks because it would still work when it isn't under aux function.

lv99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008

Any remote with up-down-left-right, select and menu buttons will work with ATV. I have put my ATV remote in the drawer since day one. Why do you waste the remote battery while any TV remotes or old VCR, DVD will do just fine? iOS remote apps can get ATV learn the 'new' remote control in no time.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
When you pay over $100 for a remote, it better do more than what a simple IR remote would do just fine if all you need is a simple remote replacement.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
The old remotes that were included mith mac minis and imacs works too. Found out by accident.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
I find this thread funny. We opened our Apple TV3 on Christmas morning and lost the remote about 3 hours later. We found it in the cushions of the couch, but it disappeared again a couple days later. We still haven't found that thing. However, while looking for it, I found an older remote that came with the mac mini and realized that...
The old remotes that were included mith mac minis and imacs works too. Found out by accident.

And ultimately it didn't matter because...
My ATV didn't need to "learn" my Harmony One. Once programmed it just worked...
That was my experience too.

We also unwrapped an iPad 4 that morning and have been using the Remote app. So eventually, we'll stumble across the ATV remote...and toss it in the drawer with the rest of the unused ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.