Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
alright so i have the following computers / devices
macbook 1,1
powerbook g4 5,9
nexus 7
galaxy nexus
raspberry pi
amd desktop pc

and what i have noticed recently is that all i ever do is sit on the internet, occasionally i will play a game but that is either on my phone or the desktop pc.
so i got to thinking if i got rid of everything that i didn't use i could get me something new just to browse the web, make the occasional text document, and send/ check email.

these are the devices i have considered

$249 samsung chromebook 16gb
pros: Cheap, Light, trackpad, sd card slot
cons: not very many apps, no real os just a web browser

full size ipad 32gb with clamcase for a built in keyboard.....................$749
pros: so many apps, a little more capable
cons: price, no trackpad but can be added with a bluetooth trackpad

ipad mini 64gb..................................................$678
pros: smaller and same as above
cons:price but not so much as above

i also considered one of the transformer pads from asus but the haven't been updated in a while

i you could give some thoughts and opinions i would really appreciate it.

i do understand it is me not you but i would like to here some points from others instead of myself
Thanks,
Boneskid1

P.S. if i end up going the ipad route i will probably hold out until the next hardware update

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
If you stay with Apple products, go for an iPad and one of these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover

There are other options out there for more stationary input, but what I linked is what I have for more extensive on-the-go typing.

My parents actually have transitioned from a Dell PC, to IBM laptops... then they go iPhones... fell in love with the iOS interface... and for the holidays got the Retina iPads (64gb) with the keyboard cover that I linked. I installed Pages, etc. on their iPads and now they don't use their laptops anymore. My mom's next device on her wishlist is now the Apple TV. :)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I would go with the full sized iPad. I think you wil find the mini too small for what you want to do. I use mine for the majority of media consumption - web browsing, reading email, books, and games.

Asking on a Apple targeted forum will get you opinions weighted towards Apple products.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Asking on a Apple targeted forum will get you opinions weighted towards Apple products.

yeah i know that, but i didnt hurt to ask. i will probably go for the fullsize my parents have one and the screen is awesome but it is a bit large compared to my nexus 7 and the ipad mini. first though i got to sell my laptops and nexus 7

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
alright so i have the following computers / devices
macbook 1,1
powerbook g4 5,9
nexus 7
galaxy nexus
raspberry pi
amd desktop pc

and what i have noticed recently is that all i ever do is sit on the internet, occasionally i will play a game but that is either on my phone or the desktop pc.
so i got to thinking if i got rid of everything that i didn't use i could get me something new just to browse the web, make the occasional text document, and send/ check email.

these are the devices i have considered

$249 samsung chromebook 16gb
pros: Cheap, Light, trackpad, sd card slot
cons: not very many apps, no real os just a web browser

full size ipad 32gb with clamcase for a built in keyboard.....................$749
pros: so many apps, a little more capable
cons: price, no trackpad but can be added with a bluetooth trackpad

ipad mini 64gb..................................................$678
pros: smaller and same as above
cons:price but not so much as above

i also considered one of the transformer pads from asus but the haven't been updated in a while

i you could give some thoughts and opinions i would really appreciate it.

i do understand it is me not you but i would like to here some points from others instead of myself
Thanks,
Boneskid1

P.S. if i end up going the ipad route i will probably hold out until the next hardware update

If you're going to spend that kind of money on an iPad, you might as well snag a refurb MacBook Air for $800. A MacBook Air will deliver much better power and performance, and also be more flexible and less constricted.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
While waiting for my wife to pick out something in a store today I got the chance to play with an iPad mini for a little. Due to my short fingers I found it no easier to hold than my full sized iPad. Trying to palm it in one hand was very uncomfortable. Those that can palm a basketball may find it nice but the size does nothing for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.