Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
unfortunately

I think that the Mini will at least keep the modular memory. Soldered memory only makes sense on a laptop since it has to be smaller, more energy efficient, etc. Both the iMac and MP offer memory expansion so it's not unlikely to think that the Mini will too.

Then again, this is Apple so you never know:D

You're spot on with the 27" iMac and MP, but the 21.5" iMac no longer has modular memory. :(

It would be great if the Mini keeps the modular memory; we'll see. I like the current one, but I am a potental buyer with a refreshed current design or a completely redesigned Mini.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
You're spot on with the 27" iMac and MP, but the 21.5" iMac no longer has modular memory. :(

It would be great if the Mini keeps the modular memory; we'll see. I like the current one, but I am a potental buyer with a refreshed current design or a completely redesigned Mini.

It's hard to exchange the RAM modules on the 21.5", but I think they are socketed instead of soldered

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Drop the firewire for sure. That is about as dead as the cdrom.

Say it ain't so! ;)

That said, I believe FW is as good as gone, but I can't imagine ethernet being gone... yet. I hope that an SSD (or Fusion drive?) is standard, as well as 8GB RAM. Past that, it's gravy.

prowla

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I want to buy a Mac mini

I'm in a bit of a difficult position at the moment, as I want to buy a Mac mini.

However, I don't want integrated graphics, so that eliminates the current model, so what do i do?

My best option at the moment is to get a used mid-2011 model.

But if I do that, when will Apple stop supporting it? (I've got an older one with separate power brick and have updated the CPU from a Core Solo to Core2Duo, but despite now having a suitable CPU it's not officially Mavericks supported.)

So, my situation is that Apple can't sell me the product I want to buy from them.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2014
My best option at the moment is to get a used mid-2011 model.

Your best option at the moment is to wait!

The 2011 graphics card is only marginally better than the HD4000 of the current mini.

An Iris Pro is A LOT better than either one!

prowla

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008

The 2011 graphics card is only marginally better than the HD4000 of the current mini.

Yes, I suppose I'll have to...

But I'll probably spend my money on something else in the meanwhile.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz

True but there may not be another mini in which case an 011 model is worth it.

Schnort

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013

Actually, the 6630m is more like a HD5000 (iris, not pro), but yes, the Pro is quite a bit better.

prowla

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Ah well, I bit the bullet and bought a 2011 model with the discrete graphics.
Sorry, Apple.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Ah well, I bit the bullet and bought a 2011 model with the discrete graphics.
Sorry, Apple.

Apple makes great computers and sells a lot of them. I maintain that fail to sell an equal amount by having so many holes in their product line and by failing to update equipment to modern specs.

The mini is a perfect example of that. I bought a base i7 2.3 but would have rather spent another $500 on a Haswell i7 with discrete graphics and TB2.

prowla

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Apple makes great computers and sells a lot of them. I maintain that fail to sell an equal amount by having so many holes in their product line and by failing to update equipment to modern specs.

The mini is a perfect example of that. I bought a base i7 2.3 but would have rather spent another $500 on a Haswell i7 with discrete graphics and TB2.
Yup - I wanted to buy one from them, but I just don't perceive the current model as right for me and I decided that the 3-year old one is a better fit for my needs.

antonio22m

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
If you are looking for a computer for surfing the internet, watching movies, editing documents, programming and other activities of daily average usage, then the mac mini is an ideal choice for you.
The good thing is that the Mac Mini produces very little noise, and it is an ideal office pc.Mini which takes up little space and consumes only 10W in stendbay mode, while his maintaining is almost unnecessarily.
Mac mini is small, compact and quiet, but you will not be able to play the latest games, therefore it is not recommended for gamers.
Take a look at this comparison at What-is-a-Mac-Mini and You will see comparison to iMac and Mac Pro.Anyone considering purchasing this Mac Mini needs to see the information in this chart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.