Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitterrific for the iPhone and iPad was updated to version 5.2 today, adding support for native push notifications for mentions, direct messages, favorites, retweets, and new followers.

Previously, Twitterrific did not include native push notifications, instead using third party notification app Boxcar. Not all users will receive immediate access to Twitterrific's push notifications as the service is being rolled out to groups of 1,000 over the next few weeks.

twitterific.jpg
In addition to push notifications, the update also adds several improvements to the app, along with a slew of bug fixes.
New Features
-Push notifications (enable in settings)
-User banners now display on profile pages
-Discussions can now be shared via email or Storify

Improvements
-Added Droplr thumbnails to the timeline
-Text size of muffled items scales according to theme settings
-The timeline can now display up to 600 tweets (was 400)
-Additional actions, like muffling, are available when avatars are hidden
-New compose shortcut: type "@" after username to prevent autocomplete
-Load more button now animates while loading new tweets in the timeline
-Improved behavior when restoring selected timeline with multiple accounts
-Improved formatting when emailing a tweet or group of tweets
-Improved performance when rotating display on iPhone/iPod
-Improved display performance when muffling many items
-Multiple in-app notifications no longer overlap
-Various changes to make VoiceOver less verbose
-Various other UI tweaks

Bug Fixes
-Mobilizer view can now display before page finishes loading
-Fixed problems where some web pages would display "Loading..." indefinitely
-Timeline syncing no longer causes the timeline to jump around while scrolling
-Fixed issues that caused the timeline to automatically scroll to the top
-Avatar button no longer flashes when dismissing a photo or modal view
-Fixed crashes that occurred when muffling a tweet that was already muffled
-Text entered on the compose screen no longer overlaps the reply reference text
-Fixed a crash that could occur when reaching the end of the timeline
-Replying to a retweet now puts usernames in the proper order
-Removed Img.ur thumbnails because they don't always match the linked image
-Various other crash fixes
Twitterrific can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitterrific Updated with Native Push Notifications and Performance Enhancements

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's not letting me use Push. Says its for beta testers only and will roll out. Tells me to check back in a couple days.
I've been using Twitteriffic since 1.0 on the Mac and I put up with the BS when they made me repurchase the app after the redesign.
I have just noticed the developer is a little shady which is pretty lame since Icon Factory and Craig Hockenberry are so respected.
I'll stick with Twitteriffic for now, but only because I hardly use Twitter.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I was :mad: when they took away trends.
How can you be a Twitter client and not have trending topics?:eek:

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
You have got to love this Mailbox-like trend. Pay and wait... or better beta test it.

Have you ever built an app that needs infrastructure used by hundred of thousands of people around the world at the same time? No.

Tweetbot did exactly the same. You simply can't beta test with 20 people and think it will work for 100,000. When Apple releases a new product, they let people wait in line and enter to the store one by one. If everyone was let in at the same time they would run over each other and hell will let loose. It is better for you and better for them.

blueshirt31

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
]Have you ever built an app that needs infrastructure used by hundred of thousands of people around the world at the same time? No.

Because you need to be VP at MS, Amazon, Apple...to be able to comment.

]Tweetbot did exactly the same. You simply can't beta test with 20 people and think it will work for 100,000. When Apple releases a new product, they let people wait in line and enter to the store one by one. If everyone was let in at the same time they would run over each other and hell will let loose. It is better for you and better for them.

This has nothing to do with Apple. I am not familiar with Tweetbot's complete development cycle. I know it was in a testing phase for months and available to limited number of people, but once it hit App Store and started charging wasn't it feature complete?

Don't get me wrong. I could not care less. I use Twitterrific rarely. I am not a Twitter nut so it does not bother me whatever they do with it. If they wanted to properly beta test they could have opt-in/out feature and have bug report feature. This whole first-come first-serve is utter nonsense, especially on a product released to public. I agree with you that the larger user base tests it the better. It will be in the end. I just dislike the way it is done. In the end, it doesn't matter what I think as it does not make any difference.

Last edited:

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Because you need to be VP at MS, Amazon, Apple...to be able to comment.

No, you just have to engage your brain and consider a small company releasing an update to an app that is already in the hands of 100,000's+ and the amount of work it takes to put together an infrastructure that can handle that kind of load.

This has nothing to do with Apple. I am not familiar with Tweetbot's complete development cycle. I know it was in a testing phase for months and available to limited number of people, but once it hit App Store and started charging wasn't it feature complete?

Don't get me wrong. I could not care less. I use Twitterrific rarely. I am not a Twitter nut so it does not bother me whatever they do with it. If they wanted to properly beta test they could have opt-in/out feature and have bug report feature. This whole first-come first-serve is utter nonsense, especially on a product released to public. I agree with you that the larger user base tests it the better. It will be in the end. I just dislike the way it is done. In the end, it doesn't matter what I think as it does not make any difference.

It has nothing to do with beta testing and feedback! It's about pure and simple server load. Trying to optimise SQL queries, tweak config settings and generally add capacity is very very difficult when you're being flooded with traffic.

And you're wrong about Tweetbot:

http://tapbots.com/blog/tweetbot/push-notifications-push-notifications-push-notifications
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/07/15/latest-tweetbot-update-brings-experimental-push-notifications-but-not-for-everyone/

blueshirt31

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
@ MacMan86

Thanks for extensive reply and explanation on Tweetbot.

I believe we misunderstood each other as I was not commenting from technical point of view. Irrelevant. Tapbots did the same. Wondering if Mac client update will follow the same path. :)

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

No, it wasn't. Push notifications in Tweetbot weren't available for everyone EVEN when it was released in the App Store. It is exactly like how it is with Twitteriffic.

EDIT: Seems Macman already did the deed.

blueshirt31

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
No, it wasn't. Push notifications in Tweetbot weren't available for everyone EVEN when it was released in the App Store. It is exactly like how it is with Twitteriffic.

EDIT: Seems Macman already did the deed.

Yes, yes...all is well. I wrongly referred to desktop version instead of iOS version for which I apologise. He explained it. Case closed.

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
It's not letting me use Push. Says its for beta testers only and will roll out. Tells me to check back in a couple days.
I've been using Twitteriffic since 1.0 on the Mac and I put up with the BS when they made me repurchase the app after the redesign.
I have just noticed the developer is a little shady which is pretty lame since Icon Factory and Craig Hockenberry are so respected.
I'll stick with Twitteriffic for now, but only because I hardly use Twitter.

It's not shady. They're trying to ensure that the servers can take the load. They have to manage load on multiple fronts. First they need to make sure they're not going to get in trouble with Twitter for excessively loading their servers (which when you have a 100,000 users small tweaks can make all the difference), secondly same with Apple's push notification service, and finally just to check their own server load.

What people forget is that developers are limited to the devices that they can use for testing to 100, as they can only self-sign apps for up to 100 devices.

This move it to increase the number of beta testers. In order for the developer to have more than 100 testers, it has to released on the App Store.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
The shadyness I was referring to was that they made me purchase the app again after buying the 1.0 for $10 just because they did a minor redesign that stripped out many features.

I don't think it was Twitterrific or IconFactory that "Stripped" out the features; it was Twitter. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't think it was Twitterrific or IconFactory that "Stripped" out the features; it was Twitter. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

You are mistaken if you think they could not have just updated the old app instead of releasing a slightly redesigned new app and removed all functionality from the original app. It cannot interact with Twitter at all now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.