Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Brad02
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Traveling from US to Canada. Unlocked iPhone 5. Options?

My wife and I will be traveling to Canada for a week and would really like the ability to make calls locally and use data to help find places and use iMessage to people back home on my unlocked iPhone 5.

I have a Nano-Rogers LTE Sim right now. I was thinking about activating it under the Talk, Text and Internet 30 for BlackBerry® smartphones for $30.75.
I noticed someone mentioned that in another thread. Is that even possible to use on an iPhone as it states BlackBerry only?

I could just use WiFi and Talkatone to make calls back home over that plan via Wireless worst case scenario.

Any other suggestions? AT&T's plans are way over priced for international/canada use.
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
g35
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
My wife and I will be traveling to Canada for a week and would really like the ability to make calls locally and use data to help find places and use iMessage to people back home on my unlocked iPhone 5.

I have a Nano-Rogers LTE Sim right now. I was thinking about activating it under the Talk, Text and Internet 30 for BlackBerry® smartphones for $30.75.
I noticed someone mentioned that in another thread. Is that even possible to use on an iPhone as it states BlackBerry only?

I could just use WiFi and Talkatone to make calls back home over that plan via Wireless worst case scenario.

Any other suggestions? AT&T's plans are way over priced for international/canada use.
Rogers usually treats Blackberry data differently, so it likely will only work for what it says - social and instant messaging from a Blackberry.

Consider Wind Mobile if you're going to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, or Ottawa. If your iPhone is T-mobile compatible it should work on Wind.
g35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Brad02
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I don't have the official tmobile compatible iPhone unfortunately. I have the AT&T version. Am I stuck to only Rogers as an option?
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
TheProFTW
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Bell or telus too. There's similicious, but not much said about them. I'm in canada right now and I'll be getting a rogers sim with the $65 plan
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Brad02
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
Bell or telus too. There's similicious, but not much said about them. I'm in canada right now and I'll be getting a rogers sim with the $65 plan
Let me know how that works out please. I wouldn't be against paying for the $65 plan for peace of mind.
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
Bell or telus too. T
As well as sub brands of the big three - Fido, Virgin and Kudo (Rogers, Bell and Telus respectively)
__________________
nMP 6-core, D500, 32 GB, 1 TB rMBP 13" '13 2.4 gHz, 256 GB, 8GB Mini '11 i7, 256 GB SSD & 750 GB HDD, 16GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad Air 128
NewbieCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020
 
zorinlynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida, USA
How much data do you plan to use? How much calling?

I paid for the 120MB international data plan from AT&T last time I was in Canada and it worked out great. You can use Google Voice for free texting once you have data.

Granted, I'm a VERY light voice user, so this worked out for me. If you talk on the phone a lot you'll probably do better with a Canadian SIM.
__________________
Old-school Apple ][ expert! Ask me if you have a ][ question!
Apple user 1983-1992, 2003-Present -- Linux user 1995-Present
Windows-free since 2003! Though I still have to deal with it at work.
zorinlynx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
TheProFTW
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Just bought a rogers sim card, since I was kinda late I bought a different plan, a pay as you go with a 500mb data addon and a $40 top up. $50 final with sim card and the top up. Getting fairly fast speeds, but it keeps switching from H to 3G. I'm using a low end android phone, so this is good.
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
Let me know how that works out please. I wouldn't be against paying for the $65 plan for peace of mind.
go with Fido, Koodo or Virgin Mobile (usually give u free sim or $5) they use Rogers/Bell/Telus towers and prices are great.

like this $39-$50 plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...lyPlans/Group2

I had the $39 plan last time I was home and couldn't be happier...450 mins is lots, 600MB = more than enough for 1 week of google maping, emails, etc (just dont watch any youtube videos) or $60 2GB plan
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Brad02
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
go with Fido, Koodo or Virgin Mobile (usually give u free sim or $5) they use Rogers/Bell/Telus towers and prices are great.

like this $39-$50 plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...lyPlans/Group2

I had the $39 plan last time I was home and couldn't be happier...450 mins is lots, 600MB = more than enough for 1 week of google maping, emails, etc (just dont watch any youtube videos) or $60 2GB plan
That Fido plan looks really good. I assume I need to find a local Fido retailer once I get to Canada to pickup the Nano-sim?
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
That Fido plan looks really good. I assume I need to find a local Fido retailer once I get to Canada to pickup the Nano-sim?
Actually those plans aren't prepaid thats one thing I forgot to mention. Canada doesn't really have many good "Prepaid" plans but you can try still and depending on what border you cross at, as many are in towns, you may be able to just find a cellphone store right there.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
ghanwani
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
How much data do you plan to use? How much calling?

I paid for the 120MB international data plan from AT&T last time I was in Canada and it worked out great. You can use Google Voice for free texting once you have data.

Granted, I'm a VERY light voice user, so this worked out for me. If you talk on the phone a lot you'll probably do better with a Canadian SIM.
Same here. I can easily go a week without making a phone call. I get the data roaming from AT&T because I can't stay away from email (T-Mobile doesn't really offer a plan for roaming that is reasonable). I end up paying for texts (but not a heavy texter either). For voice, I usually let it go to voicemail then check voicemail (which uses data) and email the person that I'll be in touch later. I am thinking of getting a Skype worldwide plan so I can then make calls from wifi.
__________________
13" MBP, 2.4G Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Oct-2010
iPhone 4, 16GB, Black, Nov-2010 [Sold]
AirPort Extreme, Jan-2011
iPhone 5s, 16GB, Gold, Dec-2013
ghanwani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanwani View Post
Same here. I can easily go a week without making a phone call. I get the data roaming from AT&T because I can't stay away from email (T-Mobile doesn't really offer a plan for roaming that is reasonable). I end up paying for texts (but not a heavy texter either). For voice, I usually let it go to voicemail then check voicemail (which uses data) and email the person that I'll be in touch later. I am thinking of getting a Skype worldwide plan so I can then make calls from wifi.
Don't waste yur money...

download the Vonage Mobile App, its amazing, not only does it display your mobile number when calling out but people dont even need to know your not calling directly!

It costs $0 and gives Unlimited Free calling to any USA+Canada phone numbers + toll free numbers!

Go travel anywhere as long as you have Data+VonageMobile App+Whatsapp(famous of all messaging apps, just about all people i know use it) = Travel without telling the whole world that you have different numbers they need to reach you at.

I use it all the time, over WiFi/3G/4G/LTE its great (I've even used it on 2G few times for calling only tho - definitely no video chats) - Also Vonage's Calling rates for international destinations are very reasonable (If you seen lately Rebtel+Skype n all raised their calling rates...and if you have Vonage Home phone with World Plan, then you can use that via Vonage Extensions app on your smartphone as 1 spot is included in your plan).

I've got a skype calling plan as well but I prefer to use Vonage Mobile app over Skype's sluggish call quality.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:31 PM   #14
TheProFTW
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington, DC
I didn't know about Vonage's app, nice
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traveling to Canada. Need advice. kmichalec iPhone 14 May 20, 2014 02:35 PM
Carrier: Traveling to canada - ipad plan advice Jades iPad 8 Nov 18, 2013 03:35 PM
What prepaid provider do you recommend for the i5 while traveling in Canada? Coleman2010 iPhone 0 Oct 7, 2012 02:23 PM
Traveling to Canada for a week - what are my options? Spaceboy88 iPhone 6 Sep 24, 2012 03:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC