Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Ok, I'm calling shenanigans. Jamesco's first post and all the posts that he's made to this board are in this thread. Then, two other people have the same / similar problem, but they just happen to be brand new members that have only posted a single time and those posts just happen to be in this particular thread...

I have a Samsung TV that I believe is a 2011 model, and it doesn't have the described issue. I won't say that these others are the same guy trying to lend credence to his issue, but something seems off about the whole thing.

Just a thought.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Ok, I'm calling shenanigans. Jamesco's first post and all the posts that he's made to this board are in this thread. Then, two other people have the same / similar problem, but they just happen to be brand new members that have only posted a single time and those posts just happen to be in this particular thread...

I have a Samsung TV that I believe is a 2011 model, and it doesn't have the described issue. I won't say that these others are the same guy trying to lend credence to his issue, but something seems off about the whole thing.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone with an interest in discrediting Samsung manufactured this. It happens more often than you'd think on popular forums, review sites, etc.

Like I said before I also have a Samsung TV, also a 2011 model, and it works perfectly with all HDMI devices.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
seems like this is a problem people have to see to be believed. i'm having the same problem with my mac mini. Just got one last month. doesn't work using hdmi with a samsung LCD & plasma tv's we have. but works perfectly fine with our Sony LCD tv.

been searching google for a fix, tried the suggestion of fiddling with the service menu but still no success.

call it a conspiracy or a hoax but something is obviously up with apple & samsung :confused:

HDCP is becoming more and more utilized in HDMI devices, and failure becomes higher and higher.

In this case, cables CAN make a difference. I have personally seen this happen. No, you don't need a monster cable, but definitely DO try another cable. (It working with another TV is not enough to isolate the cable as "good").

As others have stated, try replacing your HDMI cable.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I have an appletv3 and a samsung tv and it works, maybe it's the hdmi cable? Do you have an ethernet cord attached to the appletv from your wireless router?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
seems like this is a problem people have to see to be believed. i'm having the same problem with my mac mini. Just got one last month. doesn't work using hdmi with a samsung LCD & plasma tv's we have. but works perfectly fine with our Sony LCD tv.

been searching google for a fix, tried the suggestion of fiddling with the service menu but still no success.

call it a conspiracy or a hoax but something is obviously up with apple & samsung :confused:

Some Samsung HDTVs need to have one of the HDMI ports changed in the HDTV menus to computer/DVI in order to correctly work with Mac minis.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
It simply has to be 3rd level china crap HDMI cables causing all the chaos.
I've tried direct to an LG, but usually through rxv3900 to two Sam 650's series -
I believe 2010 models - 1rst gen ATV.

Sure Enough -
One bad HDMI cable stumped me for a day right out of the package.
All works fine - auto connect always works - 120hz sets itself to 60 accordingly.
I'll simply point out one crisis maybe some are not aware of on digital cables.
As a cable installer for 50k+ business systems -
all runs have to be certified before any devices are allowed to terminate.

The slightest kink running them 150ft through ceilings / walls from rack to desks -
and that run is junk.
One run could take 2hrs - let alone terminate the ends.

Soo I make damn sure the ultimate respect is used handling cable.
Or end up with angry electrons.
Even fresh out of the box wound up tight - I won't use them that day.
I hang them slightly weighted - to straighten out naturally.

Last edited:

kchandlersmith

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Indiana
I am having the same issue...

I've reviewed all the posts--yes, I am a "newbie", no this is not a joke, and actually I've never posted to a tech forum before. I have a Samsung LCD TV 6000 (that's what it says on the owner's manual). We bought an Apple TV (ATV) about 18 months ago, hooked it up to the Samsung, worked perfectly fine for the next 17 months. About a month ago, all of a sudden it says "no signal" when I hit source and go to HDMI2 (which it is hooked up to). My wife bought another ATV to see if that was the issue, it wasn't, still no signal. I've checked both ATV's with the Sony HDTV in our bedroom, works like a charm. Tried different HDMI cables, they all work on the Sony don't work on the Samsung. Have tried different HDMI ports on the Samsung no difference. The ONLY thing that I can point to that MAY have had an issue, is that we updated the software on the Apple TV it stopped sometime thereafter (I actually can't remember if it was right after or not) and we switched cable companies (WOW! to Comcast) but I know ATV worked after we switched. It just says "No Signal" on the black screen. I have checked power (the light on the ATV is solid glow). I reset the old ATV (restore) on ITunes. Not sure what's up, but this is a real problem...

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Perhaps the hdmi inpu on your specific Samsung TV is no longer working. Have you tested it with anything other than the ATVs

DanMoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Mass.
Apple TV won't work with Samsung TV Series 5005

Hi !

Samsung TV Series 5005, 2011 Apple logo shows up with red/black lines and disappears quickly.

Can not get to TV service menu to shut off HotPlug. Press Info Menu Mute Power tv just turns on. Mute 1 8 2 Power will work. Correct firmware is on tv. Not sure if a factory reset should be done.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you...

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
... I have a Samsung LCD TV 6000 (that's what it says on the owner's manual). ...

Just an FYI - do not trust the model number on the manual. Get it off the back of the TV. Manuals are often generic and sometimes wrong.

And a hint. Sometimes the model number if hard to read on the back. Use your smart phone to take a picture of it. Way easier to get it right when searching online - which may also find your problem solved elsewhere.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
had the same problem last weekend

family member has a 2010 LG smart TV with 4 HDMI ports. cable box was connected to one of the ports. Roku that he bought didn't work along with my apple TV. i changed what goes into which HDMI port and roku started to work.

not just an apple TV problem. strange

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
We know that ATV works with many or even most Samsungs. Why do people feel the need to continue to post about their tv and that it works. This is a known fact.

The OP is trying to track down the issue with his specific model.

Geez.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Just got the Apple TV and hooked it up to a 2010 Samsung 46 incher (LN 46A750R1F Series 7 750). Though at first I had a newbie experience with the WiFi, the set up went very well, and no other issue to report. Just had to weigh in on the OP's post some time ago about Samsungs. I'm hooked up to the newest Apple Extreme.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I'm with nostresshere. This is a non-issue that needs to go away. The only people posting that there is a problem are people with exactly one post. I'd say one or two can be considered random. At this point, I'm calling it a pattern. :rolleyes:

Any chance we can get a mod to lock or delete the thread? Or the more realistic option, this is my last post on this topic. I'd advise everyone else to stop commenting as well unless the poster with a problem has more than a few posts in their profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.