Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Believe it or not, I started with AppleScript on a first-gen iMac. I was amazed by how readable the syntax was, that I was able to just pick it up and use it (much like BASIC was for many of you guys). Now I'm doing Objective-C, C, C++ and JavaScript mostly (and AppleScript where applicable).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Believe it or not, I started with AppleScript on a first-gen iMac. I was amazed by how readable the syntax was, that I was able to just pick it up and use it (much like BASIC was for many of you guys). Now I'm doing Objective-C, C, C++ and JavaScript mostly (and AppleScript where applicable).

I can still hardly use AppleScript... I have a single script I wrote about 9 months ago that I use on a fairly regular basis that takes whatever I have selected in an iWork app and saves it as a PNG with transparency. It took a lot of time to write... it's like 30 lines of code... basically needed to ask here for help with every line. It saves me a huge amount of time though since I regularly do vector based art in iWork to mockup my apps, and then I realize my mockup was perfect and I want it to use exactly it for my app.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I can still hardly use AppleScript... I have a single script I wrote about 9 months ago that I use on a fairly regular basis that takes whatever I have selected in an iWork app and saves it as a PNG with transparency. It took a lot of time to write... it's like 30 lines of code... basically needed to ask here for help with every line. It saves me a huge amount of time though since I regularly do vector based art in iWork to mockup my apps, and then I realize my mockup was perfect and I want it to use exactly it for my app.

Brilliant ! Most be an amazing feel to create something on you own :) specially if its usefull.

Hans Kamp

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
Enschede, Netherlands
I have quite a history of programming.

I believe it was when I was 14 (now I am 46). I borrowed books from a library about programming. It was about Pascal. Computers were not as usual as they are now. Later on, I learned programming on a Commodore 64 with BASIC, later on with Simon's BASIC (which was an extension to it). I was 16 then.

At the same time, I learned actually to program in Pascal, using Pascal 64, which is a program for the Commodore.

At 18 I learned to program in C by means of Turbo C, a compiler from Borland. I tried to learn other programming languages, COMAL (similar to Visual Basic), COBOL (administration oriented language), but the most experienced I am in C and Pascal. Now I write macros for Excel. The programming language is Visual Basic for Applications.

If you read my first post in the topic about the newcomers, I also started learning to program with Xcode. In the first instance for the iPhone and the iPad, but - because I have an Apple MacBook Pro now - also for the Apple laptop itself. And... now I am here. :)

The visual environment makes programming very easy and encouraging. First I used Delphi (that is an IDE with a designer and event programming), later on C++Builder (the same IDE, but only C++ instead of Object Pascal), and now Xcode the IDE for the Apple.

Although I am a newbie, I am very eager to learn new things.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
A lot of people started out with an Apple II and a bunch of magazine articles on Basic, until they could code up or copy and mod a simple game.

This was tons easier than learning C or Objective C, so succeeded with a vast number of kids, many who later moved on to more professional software engineering.

That sound nice. Unfortunately I wasn't born at the time of the Apple II release lol. But I appreciate all of the responses in this thread so far.

----------

I have quite a history of programming.

I believe it was when I was 14 (now I am 46). I borrowed books from a library about programming. It was about Pascal. Computers were not as usual as they are now. Later on, I learned programming on a Commodore 64 with BASIC, later on with Simon's BASIC (which was an extension to it). I was 16 then.

At the same time, I learned actually to program in Pascal, using Pascal 64, which is a program for the Commodore.

At 18 I learned to program in C by means of Turbo C, a compiler from Borland. I tried to learn other programming languages, COMAL (similar to Visual Basic), COBOL (administration oriented language), but the most experienced I am in C and Pascal. Now I write macros for Excel. The programming language is Visual Basic for Applications.

If you read my first post in the topic about the newcomers, I also started learning to program with Xcode. In the first instance for the iPhone and the iPad, but - because I have an Apple MacBook Pro now - also for the Apple laptop itself. And... now I am here. :)

The visual environment makes programming very easy and encouraging. First I used Delphi (that is an IDE with a designer and event programming), later on C++Builder (the same IDE, but only C++ instead of Object Pascal), and now Xcode the IDE for the Apple.

Although I am a newbie, I am very eager to learn new things.

I agree. Everything being object oriented now makes programming really easy. I've done some small class assignments with pure C. It was a nightmare when I first started working with it as it was not object oriented at all.

After having my Apple Developer account for over 6 months I've finally opened xCode and jumped into some basic programming. Much easier with an IDE...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.