Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
Since i got my rMBP 15" at launch, ive been meaning to ditch my old desktop pc, and just get a thunderbolt display, instead of the two samsung 24" 1920x1200 TN Displays i currently have.

But... but im a bit torn between having all that screen realestate over two screens, or having a much higher quality display, with a larger single surface.

Anyone done something similiar and have some experience to share?

(There is no profesional applications, just some light gaming and some basic photo editing and movie watching. Grown accostumed to some heavy multitasking)

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Since i got my rMBP 15" at launch, ive been meaning to ditch my old desktop pc, and just get a thunderbolt display, instead of the two samsung 24" 1920x1200 TN Displays i currently have.

But... but im a bit torn between having all that screen realestate over two screens, or having a much higher quality display, with a larger single surface.

Anyone done something similiar and have some experience to share?

(There is no profesional applications, just some light gaming and some basic photo editing and movie watching. Grown accostumed to some heavy multitasking)

My feelings are if you do not need to view two screens at the same time, you'll be totally fine with a single TBD. Apple's Spaces/Mission Control options in OSX make it simple and fluid to flip back and forth between desktops on a single monitor. I personally feel its easier to use spaces and swipe back and forth than it is to move the mouse from screen to screen. I actually set up 5 different desktop spaces and use each one for something else. Swiping between them with the trackpad or a direct keystroke is a breeze.

Obviously this wouldn't work if you needed two screens side by side in full screen mode, but I didn't get the feeling that was something you were doing.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Working with dual monitors has been one of mac's short comings. Even though there is more real estate with 2, menu choices are still only on one of them. This is all supposed to change with Mavericks.

From what you describe, you might be happier with one large piece of glass. If you're looking at photos it's nice to have a big, tall monitor. A 30" will give your significantly more height than a 27".

And if you do want to work with dual monitors, you have your mbp sitting right there as a second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.