Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:53 PM   #51
butch10x
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I still use a Macbook Pro 13 for portable use but as for my main workstation, I recently switched to a PC.

Main reason being that Aperture was not being updated properly, wanted to a new tower for more space and speed, figured would be cheaper to move over to Lightroom with a new far more powerful PC.
This is exactly where I stand too. After the announcement of the new Mac Pro. I've decided to build a beast PC. My primary use for a workstation is photo editing along with video occasionally. It's probably going to cost as much as the new 2013 Mac Pro, but I wont need the external peripherals (Thunderbolt as aPPLe is pushing), everything will be inside accept for a Synology Diskstation NAS. If anyone is curious I'll be gunning for either the Intel 4930k Hex or a 3.5ghz 4770k quad OC'd to around 4.5ghz.

My current 2010 3.2 Quad Mac Pro is not keeping up where it should be and I can't upgrade it without breaking the wallet. Things I was looking to upgrade were adding a Sonnet Temp Pro PciE card with dual SSD's in a Raid 0 and adding a USB 3.0 card, and going from my current 12gb to 32gb ram. The only CPU I can upgrade to is the 3.33 Hex which is stil a good CPU, but lets face it, if I'm gonna pay $550+ for a cpu that I can't even OC, I might as well get my bang for my buck on a PC rig.

I will still be buying the new MBP Retina refresh when it hits the shelves for my personal uses. I'm convinced that Apple notebooks are the best having been using them since 2008. Before that, I was using HP's.

I'm saddened by the fact I going to switch. But in the end, It's what will help me with my workflow in my photography business.
butch10x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:46 AM   #52
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

What made me switch full time to the Mac in 2009 was Vista 64 bit constantly BSOD'ing and a Dell Precision M4400 'workstation' laptop that was an ergonomics disaster whose workmanship was awful. That pushed me over the edge.

I actually sent Dell a thank you note after I returned that turd. It was just the push I needed.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:05 PM   #53
Robert Gama
macrumors newbie

Lack of Innovation, Best Performance

I've been a Mac user since 2008 and really loved it. Bought lots of stocks, and lots of Apple products (a bit crazy actually) and a ridiculous amount on content from Apple.

I needed a powerful system for photo, video editing and gaming after being disappointed with laptop performance I was thinking about an iMac or the new Mac Pro.

I haven't heard much in the way of rumors for the iMac (besides a refresh to Haswell) and the Mac Pro is surely going to cost a fortune so I decided to make the switch back the PC.

I never thought this day would come but I actually really liked Windows 7. To be honest I had way more problems with my Macs than I did with my windows laptop.

I didn't like the direction Apple has been going eliminating the opportunities to swap out / upgrade certain components. Although it surely will continue to make it easier to get the drivers all properly supported due to the limited number of variations, I feel they've gone too far in thinking they always know what is best and I think they've lost much of the vision since Steve jobs' residual influence expires.

Anyway, this week I just built up a very high end killer system with lots of Asus' top components/monitors, and I'm positive that it will easily outperform the yet to be announced iMac.
Robert Gama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 06:28 AM   #54
MyMac1976
Banned

I won't use windows but I am making the transition to Linux. I think Arch will power the household going forward.
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:42 AM   #55
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
I went from a 1,1 mac Pro to a Lenovo S20 workstation when I started using 3ds Max. I'm still using it, but I long for the day when I finally go back to Mac as my main computer.
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion