Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #26
Maso1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
I'd buy a mini. if it was retina. Hurry up Apple!
I'd buy a mini even if it didn't have retina. Having a retina makes your device heavier and hotter (mostly due to the larger battery required), not exactly positive for what I need a mini for.
Maso1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #27
chleuasme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
the main selling point of the mini is it uses the same layouts, etc as the 9.7": It's an iPad, but smaller.
But that doesn't work always that good, and retina screens don't make things bigger on screen, only sharper.
Some app developers already made the choice to update their app with specific UI for the iPad mini: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1488619
That's probably not the last example to come

Last edited by chleuasme; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
chleuasme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:43 AM   #28
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by chleuasme View Post
But that doesn't work always that good, and retina screens don't make things bigger on screen, only sharper.
Some app developers already made the choice to update their app with specific UI for the iPad mini: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1488619
That's probably not the last example to come
Your post here summarises it perfectly:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...61&postcount=6

Particularly this part:

"It's illusional to believe you can do the same thing with a smaller screen. Adaptation from both user and devs would be necessary."

Glad im not the only one here that has been saying exactly this. Don't worry 99% of people here will just tell you that you're wrong.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:03 AM   #29
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
I thought the mini would have a much better looking display due to the higher PPI but the problem is that even though the PPI is higher, websites are still proportionately the same.

For example, if you view MacRumors and view the logo on the top left corner, the fuzziness of the MacRumors font will be the same fuzziness level on an iPad mini since it is scaled exactly the same. Meaning if the letter "M" occupies 150 pixels on the iPad 2, it will still occupy 150 pixels on an iPad mini. (BTW, I just threw out an arbitrary number for the letter M from MacRumors).

This doesn't change the fact that the mini is an amazing device, but the higher PPI shouldn't trick someone into thinking content will look sharper. Since everything is scaled.
It looks sharper because each pixel is smaller. As long as you hold it the same distance from your face. But most people will probably hold it closer as the content scale is smaller so it is more like the iPhone.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:47 PM   #30
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Not sure one can measure who picked up the mini right off the bat but it is now sold out most places I've checked. Guess what? It did not have to have retina obviously for the sale.

Maybe some folks wanted a more portable iPad, a cheaper one, and entrance into ecosystem with this form factor and no contract.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM   #31
Philalbe
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=RevTEG;16286668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDarcy View Post

About the lack of retina display? My question to you is, have you actually gone into an apple store and compared the mini and a retina iPad side by side? I would argue that because of the minis smaller screen....the difference to the naked eye is barely noticeable.

I've owned every iPad so far minus the 4. I have my 3 right beside my white mini right now. And the screen resolution IS extremely noticeable. Spend time with a retina display and you will retract your statement.
I agree. I cancelled my preorder for a mini (wifi + cellular) after spending some time with one at my local Apple Store. I noticed they seemed to be strategically keeping the iPad 2 and mini together, while the iPad with retina was displayed separately. Probably so the difference in resolution wouldn't be as obvious. Reading books on my 3 is very enjoyable and easy on the eyes, due to the retina screen. The mini's size would make it an ideal ereader but unfortunately I could easily notice pixellated text. At the end of the day it's all about personal experience and preference. If you're not doing any heavy reading or if you are coming from an iPad 2 the mini's screen will probably seem fine. If you've fallen in love with retina quality screens (as I have) then going back may seem a bit jarring.

Last edited by Philalbe; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Typos
Philalbe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:30 PM   #32
Awakener
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=Philalbe;16288992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTEG View Post

I agree. I cancelled my preorder for a mini (wifi + cellular) after spending some time with one at my local Apple Store. I noticed they seemed to be strategically keeping the iPad 2 and mini together, while the iPad with retina was displayed separately. Probably so the difference in resolution wouldn't be as obvious. Reading books on my 3 is very enjoyable and easy on the eyes, due to the retina screen. The mini's size would make it an ideal ereader but unfortunately I could easily notice pixellated text. At the end of the day it's all about personal experience and preference. If you're not doing any heavy reading or if you are coming from an iPad 2 the mini's screen will probably seem fine. If you've fallen in love with retina quality screens (as I have) then going back may seem a bit jarring.
I thought maybe it would still be a nice ereader. But it isn't. The text is too jagged and fuzzy.
Awakener is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #33
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

I started using alternate browsers to view web pages. Now I just go with Safari in landscape mode, viola!

Not sure I'll be happy with portrait mode for web pages no matter what I try!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad