Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
the amateurs and fanboys just do not have the knowledge to understand that this new "pro"
is just a disguise for the discontinueing of the mac pro workstation line.

you get something shiny and from afar seemingly something "new"..
but in fact it is just a single cpu system with specially manufactured components,
so that you cant replace them yourself.

you'll be stuck with apples choice of gpu. you cant put in your own standard gpu,
bought at a way lower price than apple would offer it. to use 2 to 4 gpus as it is possible
with modern workstations cant come even to mind. then for higher storage needs, dvd
burning, etc.. you'll need a bunch of expensive tb enclosures.

so great. you have a nice and shiny small box encircled of cables for expansion stuff.
you cant have the gpu you want or need. and the fun ends with one 12core cpu.
dont get me wrong, this is probably a nice computer for a lot of people.
but...
strategic wise this is something between an imac and the old mac pro workstations.
performance wise it is certainly not even close to what will be possible by end of 2013.

Seems like they put an awfull lot of R&D into a line they are suppose to discontinue. I think it's the future of computing. Especially as TB matures over the comming years. There is of course a chance that I'm wrong, but I find people very quick to dismiss the new Mac Pro

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Seems like they put an awfull lot of R&D into a line they are suppose to discontinue. I think it's the future of computing. Especially as TB matures over the comming years. There is of course a chance that I'm wrong, but I find people very quick to dismiss the new Mac Pro

I agree, but whilst I wouldn't dismiss it. I do wish it was bigger with internal storage.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
How much does Dell or whoever pay to have people troll these forums? I must say, Apple's competitors must be truly p*ssing themselves over this new Mac Pro for some of the nonsense spewed here and elsewhere. As Apple says it themselves, "we wanted UNLIMITED expansion WITHOUT BEING LIMITED TO THE SIZE OF THE CASE."

Only a troll could argue with that. What's not to like about UNLIMITED OPTIONS? Apple ALREADY forced me to get my Blu-ray burners (internal and external) and I have NINE external drives on top of the four 2 TB internals. The new Mac Pro will be a welcome addition to my render farm, both for Logic, Thea Render, Compressor, and FCP. Anything it doesn't have I already have except increased performance.

:apple:

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I also starting to come around to the external storage bit, (and we just built a PC that holds 12 hard drives to get rid of external storage) as when I finish a project I can just unhook that raid and add another. With our PC we would have to take the drives out of the box and label them, then re-insert them if we want to get back to that project at a later time

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I also starting to come around to the external storage bit, (and we just built a PC that holds 12 hard drives to get rid of external storage) as when I finish a project I can just unhook that raid and add another. With our PC we would have to take the drives out of the box and label them, then re-insert them if we want to get back to that project at a later time

SuperMicro makes some nice workstations with drives on hot-swap trays....

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/superworkstation.cfm

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
How much does Dell or whoever pay to have people troll these forums? I must say, Apple's competitors must be truly p*ssing themselves over this new Mac Pro for some of the nonsense spewed here and elsewhere. As Apple says it themselves, "we wanted UNLIMITED expansion WITHOUT BEING LIMITED TO THE SIZE OF THE CASE."

Only a troll could argue with that. What's not to like about UNLIMITED OPTIONS? Apple ALREADY forced me to get my Blu-ray burners (internal and external) and I have NINE external drives on top of the four 2 TB internals. The new Mac Pro will be a welcome addition to my render farm, both for Logic, Thea Render, Compressor, and FCP. Anything it doesn't have I already have except increased performance.

That's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. If they gave you TB and USB3 natively on the current box you'd still have 'unlimited' expansion, and also internal expansion. ie you have it both ways.

EDIT: You've been spun by the spinning machine. Something else Apples spinning bike pushed out was the panel that lights up as you turn it. Sounds nice I thought until somebody pointed out that you ain't gonna turn this thing with mulitple cables plugged in, especially if your PSU is plugged in on the right and your monitor on the left for example.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

Only a troll could argue with that. What's not to like about UNLIMITED OPTIONS?

Exactly what part of Thunderbolt is still TOO SLOW (i.e. Thunderbolt compared to PCI 3.0 x16 slots) don't you comprehend that you think anyone that points it out is a troll???

Apple could easily have offered BOTH in the same case, but they chose to go cutesy "Hello Kitty" instead of offering something truly professional. No one is saying that offering USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt in the next Mac Pro is a bad idea. They're saying that Apple should have added those things to an updated backplane with PCI 3.0 slots as well. The new Mac Pro with a non XENON CPU would make a good Mac Mini or even a nice gaming Mac, but it's hard to see how it can truly replace the current Mac Pro without modern high speed expansion slots. The current Mac Pro has slots that are faster than Thunderbolt for goodness sake! The overall bandwidth should be faster, not slower. Thunderbolt can make a good flexible option, but when it's the ONLY THING you can use to expand, it becomes a burden instead since you are now forced to share tha bandwidth among multiple devices and I still say daisy-chaining is a PITA, especially if you have devices in the loop that don't have pass-throughs on them (like most monitors).

Reactions: Naimfan

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008

"as TB matures"? That will never happen, it will only be less and less irrelevant, USB will for sure crush TB out.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Exactly what part of Thunderbolt is still TOO SLOW (i.e. Thunderbolt compared to PCI 3.0 x16 slots) don't you comprehend that you think anyone that points it out is a troll???

Apple could easily have offered BOTH in the same case, but they chose to go cutesy "Hello Kitty" instead of offering something truly professional. No one is saying that offering USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt in the next Mac Pro is a bad idea. They're saying that Apple should have added those things to an updated backplane with PCI 3.0 slots as well. The new Mac Pro with a non XENON CPU would make a good Mac Mini or even a nice gaming Mac, but it's hard to see how it can truly replace the current Mac Pro without modern high speed expansion slots. The current Mac Pro has slots that are faster than Thunderbolt for goodness sake! The overall bandwidth should be faster, not slower. Thunderbolt can make a good flexible option, but when it's the ONLY THING you can use to expand, it becomes a burden instead since you are now forced to share tha bandwidth among multiple devices and I still say daisy-chaining is a PITA, especially if you have devices in the loop that don't have pass-throughs on them (like most monitors).

How silly of me, I keep forgetting that Apple DEMANDS that everyone who buys a new Mac Pro turn in their old towers or supply proof of sale before being able to purchase a new one, thereby forcing all their PCI cards into Thunderbolt enclosures.

Additionally, I also forget that it's impossible to link computers together at all to utilize the combined resources.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How silly of me, I keep forgetting that Apple DEMANDS that everyone who buys a new Mac Pro turn in their old towers or supply proof of sale before being able to purchase a new one, thereby forcing all their PCI cards into Thunderbolt enclosures.

Additionally, I also forget that it's impossible to link computers together at all to utilize the combined resources.

I keep forgetting how many people take things personally and feel the need to defend their position no matter how ridiculous it sounds (i.e. we're talking about new Macs, not OLD ones that have to be replaced sooner or later; your solution works for a short while for those that ALREADY OWN ONE, but everyone else and anyone who needs a faster computer is SOL. Sorry you can't "get" that without being defensive about your pointless position).

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I keep forgetting how many people take things personally and feel the need to defend their position no matter how ridiculous it sounds (i.e. we're talking about new Macs, not OLD ones that have to be replaced sooner or later; your solution works for a short while for those that ALREADY OWN ONE, but everyone else and anyone who needs a faster computer is SOL.

How stupid of me to forget that you personally don't even have one. :rolleyes:

Mechanic

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Can someone explain how monitor connections work ?

Background: my 2009 mac pro has 3x gt120 cards, and I have six displays running off of it. Easy.

With this system, I see that there are six thunderbolt ports, so ... I could attach six displays there, right ?

BUT, every mention of the graphics cards says "up to three 4k displays" ...

What does that mean ? Does that mean that a 4k display requires two TB connections ?

And if that is the case, doesn't that mean if I attach three primary displays at 4k, all I have left is the HDMI port, and then that's it - only four displays ?

Thanks.

EDIT: OH, and also, if 4k displays take up 2x TB, and since three displays is a very common setup, then you don't have any more TB ports, right ? So you have to choose between triple monitors or fast disk connection ?
You can hook up up to 3 4k displays or six lower resolution displays. Each thunderbolt port supports 2 displays. Also thunderbolt daisy chains meaning two displays on the same port

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
the original design was flawless.... this new design is okay...but as someone mentioned earlier..no room for expansion...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
the original design was flawless.... this new design is okay...but as someone mentioned earlier..no room for expansion...

Not so sure I'd use the term flawless for the orignal though it was excellent. I'd have been happy for the same design as they've chosen, just bigger.
For example still four drive bays but ones much smaller and meant for SSD.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Not so sure I'd use the term flawless for the orignal though it was excellent. I'd have been happy for the same design as they've chosen, just bigger.
For example still four drive bays but ones much smaller and meant for SSD.

IMHO...it was flawless...to each its own. Never had problem even to this day.
I loved the customizing and adding stuff to my mac pro.

the size of the machine is perfect.

why wouldn't it be perfect?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
IMHO...it was flawless...to each its own. Never had problem even to this day.
I loved the customizing and adding stuff to my mac pro.

the size of the machine is perfect.

why wouldn't it be perfect?

One thing I did like the idea of with this new machine is that it's small enough to toss into a duffle bag and take to site, or even a friends house.
Just think off slips the cover revealing 3 slots for extra SSDs......

The biggest thing I'm wondering tho is this.........I took the followig excerpt from a CNet article;
.......six 20Gbps thunderbolt 2 ports powered by three controllers separate controllers. Each port accommodates a daisy-chained collection of up to six devices such as storage arrays, 4K monitors, and video-capture devices.

This may be showing my ignorance but is there any reason these TB controllers cannot work as an aggregate device to increase bandwidth?

Last edited:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
One thing I did like the idea of with this new machine is that it's small enough to toss into a duffle bag and take to site, or even a friends house.
Just think off slips the cover revealing 3 slots for extra SSDs......

The biggest thing I'm wondering tho is this.........I took the followig excerpt from a CNet article;
.......six 20Gbps thunderbolt 2 ports powered by three controllers separate controllers. Each port accommodates a daisy-chained collection of up to six devices such as storage arrays, 4K monitors, and video-capture devices.

This may be showing my ignorance but is there any reason these TB controllers cannot work as an aggregate device to increase bandwidth?

good point...
I was wondering about that too...now that you mentioned it.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
good point...
I was wondering about that too...now that you mentioned it.

I actually intended to buy the second revision of this thing in case they upgraded TB again but if that capability is available I'll be there with wallet in hand on launch day.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.