Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Embellish much? Good lord...

He's not, when you consider the PPI and the iPad mini's size.

Here's what the Cult of Mac's review had to say on the iPad Mini's screen:

I can’t tell you how much I dislike this display. It’s inexcusably bad. I’m a person who stares at computer screens all day long, and after using my iPad mini for an hour, I found that my eyes were actually hurting. I actually wanted to get away from the iPad mini’s display.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/199436/the...second-generation-review/#xKDfi4HpQXox6cSo.99

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Umm yes it does. It's basically impossible to read scientific papers PDFs in portrait mode with that low resolution without zooming.

I read PDFs on my first gen iPad without issues, I can't imagine the iPad mini presents a massive challenge. God forbid you might have to zoom into text! :eek:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
It seems to me that Apple will more than likely move to Sharp's IGZO display technology in the next release of the iPad and iPhone.

IGZO is supposed to use much less power than Retina technology. That means a smaller battery which means a thinner device.

I think that whoever gets their IGZO devices out first will have a jump on the competition. That's why I think we will see Apple moving release dates up to the first half of the year.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
At the present time (or 6-9 months from now), would it even be possible to mass produce the number of IGZO displays required by Apple for a new iPad or Mini? Sharp can't touch Samsung's production level. What combination of companies could meet Apple's needs?

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
I read PDFs on my first gen iPad without issues, I can't imagine the iPad mini presents a massive challenge. God forbid you might have to zoom into text! :eek:

Competitor tablets can do it without zooming and they have a significantly smaller screen. Its hard to zoom when you are holding the device with one hand.

The fact that Apple charges 160% to 200% for such an awful screen is appalling.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Competitor tablets can do it without zooming and they have a significantly smaller screen. Its hard to zoom when you are holding the device with one hand.

The fact that Apple charges 160% to 200% for such an awful screen is appalling.

Then evidently either a competing tablet or an iPad 4 is a better device for your needs if not having to zoom into PDFs is really a massive deal to you. I read whole novels (in PDF format) on my first gen iPad and I don't have many issues though.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Then evidently either a competing tablet or an iPad 4 is a better device for your needs if not having to zoom into PDFs is really a massive deal to you. I read whole novels (in PDF format) on my first gen iPad and I don't have many issues though.

Thank you Captain Obvious. It's not like I didn't order an iPad 4 LTE that I got today. Oh wait.

It's when I use that thing and people go "omg why didnt you buy an iPad Mini? The lower resolution screen is irrevelant! I can read PDFs fine!!!! You're just being picky"

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It seems to me that Apple will more than likely move to Sharp's IGZO display technology in the next release of the iPad and iPhone.

IGZO is supposed to use much less power than Retina technology. That means a smaller battery which means a thinner device.

I think that whoever gets their IGZO devices out first will have a jump on the competition. That's why I think we will see Apple moving release dates up to the first half of the year.

IGZO is a display manufacturing technique, and Retina refers to a certain PPI at a certain distance, regardless of actual display tech.

But yes, the current IPS displays should see a large power savings with the transition to IGZO.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
IGZO is a display manufacturing technique, and Retina refers to a certain PPI at a certain distance, regardless of actual display tech.

But yes, the current IPS displays should see a large power savings with the transition to IGZO.

Thank you, w00t951. You prompted me to do some reading on Wikipedia to get a better primer on display technology and it is very interesting.

I now have a better understanding of why this is such a big deal to people.

I hope the next iPad mini has IGZO technology with Retina level quality. I think that would become my primary computing device.

Sakuraba

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
He's not, when you consider the PPI and the iPad mini's size.

Here's what the Cult of Mac's review had to say on the iPad Mini's screen:

M-o-r-o-n ...I don't even care to tell u why - Because you know Mr AzN1337c0d3r. Your nick here is speaking for it self.

Btw, Apple will sell billions of dollars worth of iPad Mini - I guess u just cannot figure out why Mr Az*.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
M-o-r-o-n ...I don't even care to tell u why - Because you know Mr AzN1337c0d3r. Your nick here is speaking for it self.

Btw, Apple will sell billions of dollars worth of iPad Mini - I guess u just cannot figure out why Mr Az*.

I think his name stands for "Mr Asian Elite coder" not "Mr Ass"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.