Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
That is a very good review, and he's right on all those points. But I don't think anyone who had purchased the 1st generation Mini is under any illusion about its raw cpu processing power or it's non-Retina display. Apple is well known for releasing their initial products with lots of room for improvements the following year. One can always make an argument for waiting a year, two or three to get a better product. But to some, we would rather enjoy that initial product for the time being, and maybe upgrade two years down the road for a 3rd generational product of the same line.

Yes. The Ipad mini is expensive. But for the ease of navigating around the web, pinching and zooming pages and just an over-all web-browsing experience, no product out right now is better. The Mini is light weight, and the trade-off of not having the A6 over the A5 and the non-Retina display is an astoundingly long battery life. I'm sold on the product.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. As per the suggestion of one of the posters above, I was able to locate a $329 Ipad Mini at a local Target, and have it on reserve for pick-up later on today. This will be our first Apple product, and if next year's Ipad has the A6 processor and the Retina display as many critics seem to believe that it will, I'll get that one as well for the family. Cheers!

Had some sluggishness.

This is one of the more honest reviews:
http://gizmodo.com/5959068/a-week-with-the-ipad-mini

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Really? An honest review, Gizmodo? Yup. going to be real honest and level headed when it starts off saying the mini is terrible. :rolleyes:

He states a problem with the price up front, but if you actually read it he is harsh on the Nexus and Kindle Fire too.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Anandtech's review is far better review than Gizmodo. The Gizmodo review does not consider the whole echo system, ppi vs resolution vs screen size, engineering requirements, etc. Basically, the Gizmodo review is the same as many posts in this forum. It reiterates wishlist features and price and knocks Apple for not delivering. Anandtech thoughtfully addresses the wishlist features and really hits home on the technology. I placed an order to replace two iPad 3's with mini's after reading Anandtech's review. I was also fortunate enough to get $100 instant rebate and free 2-day FedEx from AT&T Premier for each iPad mini 64GB Wi-Fi + LTE. After selling my similarly spec'd iPad 3s on eBay I actually made a profit.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Anandtech does have the best technical review, but in my opinion it isn't critical enough from a user perspective.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Anandtech does have the best technical review, but in my opinion it isn't critical enough from a user perspective.

Agreed. However, I think the user perspective of wishlist features for Apple devices has become unrealistic. Similar to the performance people expect from Apple stock or the latest Apple product release. Retina Display technology does not exist for a 2048x1536 panel at 7.9". Neither is the processor / battery combo to drive a Retina Display that can fit the mini frame. My guess is Apple is waiting for a 7.9" 2048x1536 panel with high enough yields (LG and AU are already struggling with the current displays) or plan to go with a lower resolution panel and scale down the 2048x1536 in the GPU. Apple will not forsake app developers with yet another resolution.

rosser1982

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Not Charging

So I've had my mini for a whole day. Today my wall charger which shipped with the mini is not being recognized So no charge is happening. Anyone else having this issue. Tried a different apple wall charger but to no avail. Battery monitor app shows "unplugged" status.

I suspect the lightning "logic" as malfunctioning. Anyone else having this issue? Or have a fix for it? I tried resetting the ipad by simultaneous home and the top button.

Update: So I used my ipad mini wall charger with my iphone which uses the 30 pin adapter and the iphone registered as charging. So I can rule out the wall charger. Seems perhaps the lightning cable????

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
He states a problem with the price up front, but if you actually read it he is harsh on the Nexus and Kindle Fire too.

I did read it. I don't see how someone can read this without coming away feeling it's very biased. Therefore I don't feel it's a good review to put forward.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
light bleed along the bottom edge where the home button is
very distracting while watching movies in dark scenes

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
light bleed along the bottom edge where the home button is
very distracting while watching movies in dark scenes

I have had 3 minis now first one crapped out second had a dull screen/weird tint and this one has dust collecting on left and maybe a weird wifi issue with it connected but intermittently not responding to Internet stuff like loading pages at Starbucks wifi and home once or twice. I hope it just stops.

But never light bleed

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
What makes this one more honest? That he doesn't like it?

Again, he addressed the negatves critically from a user perspective (major reviews are often watered down to avoid offending any readers). Also, he was just as critical of the Nexus and Kindle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.