Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
so i just got my new 13 MBA

it was charged to 100% at night before i slept, unplugged the power cord, and i woke up this morning, down to 20%.

what happen?

i didnt shutdown the machine and put it to sleep, does it not work like that?

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I'm not sure, probably have to check that when I get home and that could be the problem.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Whats a powernap ?

It allows the Air to do work while in sleep mode. "While sleeping, your Mac can back up using Time Machine and periodically check for new mail, calendar, and other iCloud updates."

I would enable it while on AC but disable while on battery. This can be found in the system preferences>energy saver.

Also, when new, the Air will do a lot of work organizing files and updating apps and restoring files if you used migration assistant to move all your files and settings to your new Mac.

I'd keep an eye on the battery usage over the next few days. You should see an improvement. If not then it's time to call or visit Apple.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
so i just got my new 13 MBA

it was charged to 100% at night before i slept, unplugged the power cord, and i woke up this morning, down to 20%.

what happen?

i didnt shutdown the machine and put it to sleep, does it not work like that?

i'm a little unclear on the problem here -are you saying you manually put it to sleep?

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
i'm a little unclear on the problem here -are you saying you manually put it to sleep?

yes i do that every time i go away from my laptop knowing i wont use it for a few hours

----------

It allows the Air to do work while in sleep mode. "While sleeping, your Mac can back up using Time Machine and periodically check for new mail, calendar, and other iCloud updates."

I would enable it while on AC but disable while on battery. This can be found in the system preferences>energy saver.

Also, when new, the Air will do a lot of work organizing files and updating apps and restoring files if you used migration assistant to move all your files and settings to your new Mac.

I'd keep an eye on the battery usage over the next few days. You should see an improvement. If not then it's time to call or visit Apple.

yeah this was checked and could be the reason, im going to uncheck this

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yeah this (Powernap) was checked and could be the reason, im going to uncheck this

I have a 2013 MBA and have Powernap turned on, and have never seen anything like the battery drop when sleeping you are seeing. I think you have something else going on.

With Powernap turned on my battery does not even drop 2% overnight.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I have a 2013 MBA and have Powernap turned on, and have never seen anything like the battery drop when sleeping you are seeing. I think you have something else going on.

With Powernap turned on my battery does not even drop 2% overnight.

i dont know, its brand new, i just got it and didnt even install anything on it yet!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i dont know, its brand new, i just got it and didnt even install anything on it yet!

I would take it back and exchange it. Like I said, that is not even close to expected battery life when asleep even with Powernap on.

Apple's own tests with 30 day battery life when asleep are with Powernap on (default settings).

4. Testing conducted by Apple in May 2013 using preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Air units and preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 11-inch MacBook Air units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 720p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See http://www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
you can also try and see what's waking the computer up by copy and pasting this into terminal:

Code:
syslog |grep -i "Wake reason"

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
i dont see the need to put these beasts to "sleep".

yea if i was going to grab something from the fridge... or maybe a shower.

it takes 10 seconds to boot. why not just shutdown if youre afk?

hell even for 10 minutes i'll shutdown, and set to reopen windows on boot

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I've noticed that when I have my external monitor connected that the battery will drain faster overnight but nothing like what OP is saying :eek:

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
i dont see the need to put these beasts to "sleep".

yea if i was going to grab something from the fridge... or maybe a shower.

it takes 10 seconds to boot. why not just shutdown if youre afk?

hell even for 10 minutes i'll shutdown, and set to reopen windows on boot

I do the same thing if am going to use the computer soon sleep mode, if am going to sleep you better off turning it off

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
I use three cloud services, MS SkyDrive, Dropbox and Box. During my Air's initial setup, it was draining battery in less than two hours. That was my expectation. Now that all of my files are synch'd, I expected the battery time to improve.

However, it would appear that of those three, SkyDrive is a battery drainer. It synch's much slower than the other two and it is running more often in the background. It's as if their synch algorithms are inefficient.

Without SkyDrive running, I get around 6-8 hours before I need to plug-in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.