Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all my broadband supplier is giving me a free copy of macafee net protection plus anti virus. Any point in installing it as its free?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
thanks guy. well em i did install it just to check it out, but now i have uninstalled it. i have uninstalled it using the mcafee uninstaller that was in my applications in finder. How can i now be sure that, thats it and all mcafee files are now off my mac. Or should i just assume now its completely off my mac, since i used to uninstaller for mcafee?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thanks guy. well em i did install it just to check it out, but now i have uninstalled it. i have uninstalled it using the mcafee uninstaller that was in my applications in finder. How can i now be sure that, thats it and all mcafee files are now off my mac. Or should i just assume now its completely off my mac, since i used to uninstaller for mcafee?

MCafee is a known company, they can be "trusted" to have an uninstaller which does it's job.
You could try a search with spotlight, if it finds nothing you're OK.

Oh, and the reason I called it malware is because such software does "nothing" on OS X so I regard it as malware.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
MCafee is a known company, they can be "trusted" to have an uninstaller which does it's job.
You could try a search with spotlight, if it finds nothing you're OK.

Oh, and the reason I called it malware is because such software does "nothing" on OS X so I regard it as malware.

McAfee is a known company; known for abhorrent software.

Now, I've never used it on OSX but on Windows it always seemed to muck up the install & uninstall. Uninstall would leave folders & shared files scattered all around Windows. So many borked installs came my way I wrote scripts to clean up clients machines. All the 'OEMs' seem to love to install crap like McAfee trials. :sigh:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
McAfee is a known company; known for abhorrent software.

Now, I've never used it on OSX but on Windows it always seemed to muck up the install & uninstall. Uninstall would leave folders & shared files scattered all around Windows. So many borked installs came my way I wrote scripts to clean up clients machines. All the 'OEMs' seem to love to install crap like McAfee trials. :sigh:

I though they at least had a reasonable name on windows, seems like I was wrong, good to know they aren't any better than Symantec.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey guys
I have managed to delete all system related and plist ( i think its called) files in relation to this a/v software. managed to do this by following the other threads on this forum that talks about how to fully remove applications etc from a mac. I done this in additional to the uninstaller as well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey guys
I have managed to delete all system related and plist ( i think its called) files in relation to this a/v software. managed to do this by following the other threads on this forum that talks about how to fully remove applications etc from a mac. I done this in additional to the uninstaller as well.
Very wise move. 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Best Buy gave me a free copy of Kaspersky or something with my Mac. I threw it in the trash :)

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I use Sophos, just in case. It doesn't seem to slow my 2012 air down at all.

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here, here and here.

Thanks.

Even though that report seems slightly one sided (though I must admit I only read the abstract, summary and conclusion because I don't understand much of the technical computer jargon) and it's a report on the Windows OS version.

I will remove it. Any suggestions on any alternatives?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks.

Even though that report seems slightly one sided (though I must admit I only read the abstract, summary and conclusion because I don't understand much of the technical computer jargon) and it's a report on the Windows OS version.

Common sense or if you really need to: ClamXav.

Look at the FAQ Mister GGJstudios linked to. I have used those steps for years and have not yet contracted any Mac OS X malware, and I tried via visiting all those sites, that are deemed to be the dark sites.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks.

You don't need an alternative - Mac OSX does not need any anti-virus software, cleaning software, maintenance software, etc etc...

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
i installed antivirus trial on my old macbook that was 5 years old to see how much it would actually pick up over the years and it didnt even find suspicious file. i then deleted it. not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.