Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #151
benjobe2513
macrumors newbie

Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavioparentiq View Post
I am moving a mac pro to a gaming machine.
The computer is now working under windows 8. NO POWER HASSLE WHATSOEVER. No power setup. Just a standard 6 to 8 pin adaptor.
Flavio
Flavio, could you update us about the status of your system? Have you run into any power issues with the Titan in your 2009 Mac Pro? I'm considering doing something similar with my 2010 MP. Thanks for any help.
benjobe2513 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #152
TheHerdForever
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjobe2513 View Post
Flavio, could you update us about the status of your system? Have you run into any power issues with the Titan in your 2009 Mac Pro? I'm considering doing something similar with my 2010 MP. Thanks for any help.
Benj,

I have a Titan 1 in my MacPro 5,1 (2010) running off the internal power supply and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. My OS is 10.9.4 and all still seems to be in working order. However, I have noticed that my CPU A, which is next to the Titan, is running a little hotter than CPU B. The temp for CPU A when running idle is about 103-110 degrees Fahrenheit. CPU B temp is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit when idle. I had CPU A jump up to 145 degrees F when I ran Cinebench R15 and Geekbench 3. CPU B jumped up to 103 degrees F. All this can be handled via iStat Menus, which allows you to independently control your internal fans to reduce the CPU heat (I believe the fan next to CPU A is called booster 1). Turning up the RPM's on booster 1 to 3650 seems drop the temps down in the mid to low 90's when running idle. Under heavy load, the highest I've seem CPU A temp was 115 degrees F, which is a lot better than 145 as I reported above.

Another "gotcha" is the latest nVidia web driver release (334.01.02f02) and the latest nVidia CUDA release (6.0.51). For whatever reason(s), the latest CUDA driver states that it needs another Update Required when you are running the latest nVidia web driver listed above. When you use the OS GPU drivers, the latest CUDA driver seems to work fine. Hopefully nVidia will fix this. Others have reported that lately that the OS GPU drivers are better performing that the current nVidia ones, but I am not the one to quote on that since I currently have very slow hard drives (which I'm replace ASAP).

Hope this helps in some way and please let me and the others know how it works out if you decide to get a Titan for your mid 2010 MP.

Cheers,
Frank

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Tags
gaming, gtx, gtx titan, mac, mac pro