Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Vettori13
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Buying a Macbook from another country off Ebay

Hey everyone,

So I live in New Zealand. And where I live, Apple products are very expensive (even more so than normal).

I looked on Ebay and found many brand new 13' rMBP's for about $400NZD less than on the NZ Apple store, even after $100 shipping.

I was wondering if there would be any major problems with purchasing something like this from a location in the US. I assume there might be an issue regarding warranties but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:44 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
What about import tax, don't know how much it is in Kiwi land but I guess it's not 0%.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Heres the laptop I was looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-App...item43bafbaad7

Does anything look dodgy?
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
100% positive feedback so that is OK, think the shipping is a bit steep though.

Don't they charge import tax there?

Edit: I myself would never buy an expensive item like that on Ebay
justperry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #5
gnasher729
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
Hey everyone,

So I live in New Zealand. And where I live, Apple products are very expensive (even more so than normal).

I looked on Ebay and found many brand new 13' rMBP's for about $400NZD less than on the NZ Apple store, even after $100 shipping.

I was wondering if there would be any major problems with purchasing something like this from a location in the US. I assume there might be an issue regarding warranties but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
When buying from a foreign country, you need to consider that if there are any problems, and the seller is in any way dodgy, you will have a hard time getting things sorted out. I'd only buy from a foreign country if they have a known good reputation, or if the item is cheap enough so that you can risk losing all your money. So buying a MBP from an unknown seller in a foreign country is something that I wouldn't do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Edit: I myself would never buy an expensive item like that on Ebay
Even in your own country. Buying from a foreign country just makes the risk so much bigger. On the other hand, I wouldn't ship to a foreign country either; the seller can expect exactly the same problems.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
When buying from a foreign country, you need to consider that if there are any problems, and the seller is in any way dodgy, you will have a hard time getting things sorted out. I'd only buy from a foreign country if they have a known good reputation, or if the item is cheap enough so that you can risk losing all your money. So buying a MBP from an unknown seller in a foreign country is something that I wouldn't do.




Even in your own country. Buying from a foreign country just makes the risk so much bigger. On the other hand, I wouldn't ship to a foreign country either; the seller can expect exactly the same problems.
Only if purchase receipts are included and has a 100% positive feedback.
But the place I am originally from is small, most of the country can be reached within a 1-2 hour drive.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
100% positive feedback so that is OK, think the shipping is a bit steep though.

Don't they charge import tax there?

Edit: I myself would never buy an expensive item like that on Ebay
The last sentence is my opinion, too; personally, I'd never buy anything that expensive from e-Bay. In your position, I would grit my teeth, and would pay the full price, knowing that the warranty is sound, and the purchase is perfectly legitimate. In other words, you are paying for peace of mind......
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:35 PM   #8
gnasher729
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Only if purchase receipts are included and has a 100% positive feedback.
But the place I am originally from is small, most of the country can be reached within a 1-2 hour drive.
Ok, if you live say in Luxembourg then Belgium or Netherlands doesn't quite count as "foreign country".
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
One thing I did not see mentioned is the power adapter you may need to purchase a local version to power/recharge the machine. All depends on the plug standard used in your home country vs the country you are buying from as most chargers will automatically handle the difference in the voltages around the world, plug on the end of that adapter different story.
__________________
MacPro 5,1 16gb HD6870; MacPro 4,1 5,1 12x2.66ghz 24gb GT120
MacUser2525 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Attonine
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tripoli, Libya
You really need to check the situation with import duty and taxes in New Zealand. Don't imagine for one minute your MBP may slip through the net, it won't!

Other than this I agree with the sentiment of most who have posted above. It's an expensive item and a substantial risk. I wouldn't do it.
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:46 PM   #11
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Ok, if you live say in Luxembourg then Belgium or Netherlands doesn't quite count as "foreign country".
One of those BeNeLux countries is where I was born, more than 10 million people live close enough to me to just pick up an item instead of buying it on Ebay, if it's an expensive article like the one above I wouldn't hesitate to just go there and check it out myself.
I bought plenty of things on Ebay, as far away as China and the US, most of them just a couple of $, most expensive was a phone from the US which was around $50, if something happened I would loose little, never happened though.
I choose 100% positive feedback and sellers which have sold 1000s of articles.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanks everyone for the replies! I actually completely forgot about import tax as I never purchase anything even remotely this pricey from overseas.

It works out to still be slightly cheaper buying from overseas even with shipping + tax but, you are right, it could be quite risky.

As far as warranties go, would I still be able to repair the laptop under warranty if I took it into an Apple retailer in NZ?
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:04 AM   #13
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Have you thought of going to Australia or getting it from Australia I don't know if that would be cheaper or same price as New Zealand?
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
Have you thought of going to Australia or getting it from Australia I don't know if that would be cheaper or same price as New Zealand?
I'm thinking it would be cheaper but I would likely have to pay import tax when I come back into NZ.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:11 AM   #15
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
I'm thinking it would be cheaper but I would likely have to pay import tax when I come back into NZ.
What about a refurb MBA from the apple online store. Sometimes they have good deals. If any are available though.
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
What about a refurb MBA from the apple online store. Sometimes they have good deals. If any are available though.
I think that might be my main option at this stage. There is a refurb rMBP 13" for a good price in there at the moment but I am thinking about holding off for the Haswell retina laptops. But getting a Haswell refurbished 13" rMBP will be very difficult.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 08:05 AM   #17
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
I think that might be my main option at this stage. There is a refurb rMBP 13" for a good price in there at the moment but I am thinking about holding off for the Haswell retina laptops. But getting a Haswell refurbished 13" rMBP will be very difficult.

Oh okay. Whats your MBA going to be used for mainly if you dont mind me asking. I am not sure on the difference between processors like Haswell etc. However sometimes even the current new and current refurb MBA's might suit your needs.
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
Oh okay. Whats your MBA going to be used for mainly if you dont mind me asking. I am not sure on the difference between processors like Haswell etc. However sometimes even the current new and current refurb MBA's might suit your needs.
My rMBP will be used for nothing heavy, probably will have 10-15 tabs open, iTunes, excel and guitar pro open most of the time. I just would like the added graphics performance of Haswell so I can at least play a few older games every now and then.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying off ebay? verseafterverse MacBook Air 22 Nov 17, 2013 08:20 PM
Buying a New/Refurb Macbook Pro 2011 on German Ebay. Help me? Padpork MacBook Pro 2 Jun 25, 2013 02:12 PM
Buying books/apps from different country imswimmin iOS 6 1 Jan 2, 2013 09:23 AM
Buying from Ebay UK cool11 Buying Tips and Advice 0 Jul 7, 2012 10:35 AM
Buying on Ebay dougw1025 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jul 4, 2012 09:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC