Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BryanDowdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
I currently run my macbook pro (2.53 i5) in clamshell mode. When running parallels it some times lags running my CAM software. Also, if I have internet radio, CAD, Parallels, and CAM running; the fan never shuts off. Pandora uses flash, so that's loading the CPU. Would a desktop handle the load better? Mac Mini?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Just FYI the mini also uses laptop components hence the small size. If you are running VM's then boosting RAM will help the lag regardless of whether it is a desktop or laptop. I ran a rather old MacBook in clamshell mode before upgrading to a 2012 mini and the difference was huge. Given it was a laptop from 2007 though. I imagine the laptops have heat dissipation issues since they weren't designed to run like that. A quad core mini would do good if you are worried about the CPU load because they are really quick. Just make sure the integrated graphics can handle the programs you want to run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.