Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1
AJ.G
macrumors member

Question Whats on the back of my iPod Touch?

Alright, so long story short, im saving up for a new macbook air (buy all my products myself- student) and, in order to help, i am selling my iPod Touch to a friend. Its a fourth gen, and ive always had a case and screen protector, and i never took it off until this morning. and very weirdly, as well as annoyingly, i found minor scratches (whatever), and some really weird little smudges. they are like if the chrome on the back has been smudged or scratched, and i have no idea where they came from.

Ive always had a silicon case on my ipod, and was just wondering if aanybody had the same, or if they knew how they got there. also in another thread i recently read a poster mention that if you take your ipod touch, i think they said, to a jewelry shop, they can fix it up? anybody have any insight or ideas how this could be? i live in china so it wont quite be a jeweller shop, and im just asking this out of interest.

thank you in advance,

AJ--
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Its probably just small scratches. It happens to all iPod Touches. No matter what people say or do, their iPod Touch will get scratched up on the back. As for getting the scratches out, don't waste your money. They'll just come back.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #3
NathanA
macrumors 6502a

In my experience, silicone cases do not actually prevent scratches. If anything, under certain conditions, they can be even more numerous with such a case. Lint, dust, and other dirt can work its way inside the case and then nest in between the inside of the case and the outside of your device (iPod, cell phone, whatever), where it continually rubs against the iPod during normal daily use and transport.

A case like that might help to protect it some from impact in the event of an accidental drop, but I don't find them to be effective protection against scratches. For that, I prefer to use a wet-application body shield, like the ones made by Zagg, BestSkinsEver, or BodyGuardz.
NathanA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
upinflames900
macrumors 6502a

Interesting idea about having it essentially polished... don't know it is worth it though. Definitely happens to every ipod touch... case or not
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:21 PM   #5
AJ.G
macrumors member

hmmm i see.
but they arent actual scratches. what im talkng about is like litle spots on the back where instead of the metal being shiny and reflective, its all dull. i really suck at explaining:P what i mean is its like if the metal had been filed down to take away the shine. its not a scratch, really looks like a smudge...

am i the only one with this?
and about the protective skins, i really wanted to get those,
but since the ipod touch here in china is way overpriced, i got mine in the states, and forgot to get those skin things...

anywayz...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Goldinboy17
macrumors 65816

Anyone ever consider front and back screen protectors to protect it from any scratches?
Goldinboy17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Intell
macrumors P6

As I have said before, they are scratches. Many, many small scratches. The dust caught in the case has given some spots a "brushed" look. Almost every other iPod Touch has similar amounts of this "brushing" caused by cases.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:34 PM   #8
alust2013
macrumors 68040

The chrome is so vulnerable to scratches, the cases themselves can cause them. Just find a microfiber cloth or one of those extra soft fuzzy blankets and give it a good buffing, and that's about as good as it will get.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:38 PM   #9
upinflames900
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.G View Post
hmmm i see.
but they arent actual scratches. what im talkng about is like litle spots on the back where instead of the metal being shiny and reflective, its all dull. i really suck at explaining:P what i mean is its like if the metal had been filed down to take away the shine. its not a scratch, really looks like a smudge...

but since the ipod touch here in china is way overpriced, i got mine in the states, and forgot to get those skin things...

anywayz...
Can you post a picture?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:49 AM   #10
SuperMacMan
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to SuperMacMan
I know exactly what the OP means. Both my 1st & 2nd gen iPod touches have exactly the same symptom, unfortunately. I have a zagg invisibleshield on my new 4th gen (the invisible shield is AWFUL, btw!!) so it hasn't occurred there.

Basically what happens it that the silicone takes the "shiny" out of the gadget, particularly where you typically hold the device. I'm yet to come across a proper solution, but placing the iPod touch screen-down on a grippy, clean microfibre cloth then using a 2nd clean microfibre cloth and lots of elbow grease (but not too much) seems to bring it up a bit better.
Doing this repeatedly over a few days improves the look of the iPod touch a lot.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:04 AM   #11
supermac96
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
hmmm i see.

anywayz...
post a picture???
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:46 AM   #12
pepi
macrumors member

I found these on the back of mine yesterday. I'm devastated I even stayed home from work because my eyes are still swelled from crying
pepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
silverwings0825
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Me too!

hey guys i post a picture of my ipod. looks like this. can i still remove this? tried our house cleaning agents but nothing worked. tried toothpaste as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2273.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	388855  
silverwings0825 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwings0825 View Post
hey guys i post a picture of my ipod. looks like this. can i still remove this? tried our house cleaning agents but nothing worked. tried toothpaste as well.
Probably made it worse by using toothpaste. Toothpaste is not smooth.
Car polish would have been a better bet. They are swirl marks, just like what every car gets overtime. I would try something like scratch doctor.
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #15
JaimeC
macrumors newbie

What is on the back of my iPod touch

Quote:
Alright, so long story short, im saving up for a new macbook air (buy all my products myself- student) and, in order to help, i am selling my iPod Touch to a friend. Its a fourth gen, and ive always had a case and screen protector, and i never took it off until this morning. and very weirdly, as well as annoyingly, i found minor scratches (whatever), and some really weird little smudges. they are like if the chrome on the back has been smudged or scratched, and i have no idea where they came from.

Ive always had a silicon case on my ipod, and was just wondering if aanybody had the same, or if they knew how they got there. also in another thread i recently read a poster mention that if you take your ipod touch, i think they said, to a jewelry shop, they can fix it up? anybody have any insight or ideas how this could be? i live in china so it wont quite be a jeweller shop, and im just asking this out of interest.

thank you in advance,

AJ--
I have the same problem with my iPod touch. What I did is clean it with Brasso Metal Polish an it came out like new. It didn't have scratches but smudges even so I always protected it with a cover case.
Brasso is very cheap and they sale it at any hardware store, I always buy mine at amazon.com.

I hope dis will help you. If it does let me know throughout this forum.

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 14, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
JaimeC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:38 AM   #16
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeC View Post
I have the same problem with my iPod touch. What I did is clean it with Brasso Metal Polish an it came out like new. It didn't have scratches but smudges even so I always protected it with a cover case.
Brasso is very cheap and they sale it at any hardware store, I always buy mine at amazon.com.

I hope dis will help you. If it does let me know throughout this forum.
Think the person has moved on since this is from 2 years ago.
defunct32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch