Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
12$ for 2GBs?! What carrier?
That's an epic offer, Or am I very inexperienced in that topic :rolleyes:

It's from 2degrees here in NZ. It's actually $72 (NZ$86) for 12 GB over 6 months (prepaid data pack) but I divided it by 6 to get the approximate monthly price. I've also removed tax from the price for comparison because I believe that US prices exclude tax. If I'm mistaken then it'd be closer to US$14/month.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
It's from 2degrees here in NZ. It's actually $72 (NZ$86) for 12 GB over 6 months (prepaid data pack) but I divided it by 6 to get the approximate monthly price. I've also removed tax from the price for comparison because I believe that US prices exclude tax. If I'm mistaken then it'd be closer to US$14/month.

Oh crap, thought you talking about America, my fault.
You seem to have very cheap carriers over there :(
Do you get throttled after the 12GBs?

Unlikely I won't move due to that reason^^ :)
Is there any comparable stuff for ppl in the US? :eek:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Oh crap, thought you talking about America, my fault.
You seem to have very cheap carriers over there :(
Do you get throttled after the 12GBs?

Unlikely I won't move due to that reason^^ :)
Is there any comparable stuff for ppl in the US? :eek:

I was wondering why you wanted to know (since your location says NY) but figured you might be visiting or something. Once you've used up the 12 GB you can either grab another data pack, go onto the casual rate (which I think is 50c/GB or something similarly ridiculous) or disable data. There are smaller packs too (e.g. 1 GB for US$15) but as you can see it's better value to go for the 12 GB pack in most cases.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I think I have the best. Unlimited everything and my employer pays the bill and bought me the iPhone for that matter. ;)

As far as the plan itself its a standard business package. Not sure about the details.

You must work for Yahoo!.

I would love for another US carrier to pop up and overtake these other carriers with these tiered down data plans. Data wasn't even a thing until the iPhone came out.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I was wondering why you wanted to know (since your location says NY) but figured you might be visiting or something. Once you've used up the 12 GB you can either grab another data pack, go onto the casual rate (which I think is 50c/GB or something similarly ridiculous) or disable data. There are smaller packs too (e.g. 1 GB for US$15) but as you can see it's better value to go for the 12 GB pack in most cases.

Wow, are you native Zealander?
I heard that living in Australia is very low cost but you surprising me w/ that, okay maybe it's just the mobil data haha which is cheap^^.
I think I wouldn't benefit from a 6 month (prepaid) contract when I just do a visit :D for about 2 - 6 weeks
But never mind... I am happy to know that I'd get affordable mobile data in Zealand :) whenever I am there, in centillion years :D haha

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I would love for another US carrier to pop up and overtake these other carriers with these tiered down data plans. Data wasn't even a thing until the iPhone came out.

It's unlikely that we'll have more than 4 big networks due to the high cost to build them. The MVNO market is heating up, and should help with competition for customers that want smaller plans.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wow, are you native Zealander?
I heard that living in Australia is very low cost but you surprising me w/ that, okay maybe it's just the mobil data haha which is cheap^^.
I think I wouldn't benefit from a 6 month (prepaid) contract when I just do a visit :D for about 2 - 6 weeks
But never mind... I am happy to know that I'd get affordable mobile data in Zealand :) whenever I am there, in centillion years :D haha

Yup, I was born here and I've lived here all my life, apart from holidays to a handful of other countries :)

I'm not sure how things stack up overall here; I personally don't find it too expensive here but I have a good job etc. I've never tried to compare our prices with Australia either so *shrug*. When I go overseas I find that some things are cheaper but others are more expensive so it seems to balance out.

Last edited:

RedRocksU2

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
Murrieta, Ca USA
I've had Sprint since it started, it was actually called PacBell back then.

One of the reps gave me a line that included unlimited minutes for free. I had that for years, I just had to buy the phone.
When they changed to Sprint, they did an audit and sent messages to all the rep's "connections" telling them they were about to disconnect them since he no longer worked for that corporation and that they should call to set up another line.
A few days passed by and after calling them, I found out that out of the people he hooked up, I was the only one that called.
The associate from Sprint was really nice and she said that she would hook me up with a plan, but that it would not be as good as the one I had before.

I've had 750 mins/month with unlimited data for $15 for the past 8+ years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.