Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Small phones were popular, now large phones are popular. People are trying to find the perfect device. The answer is different devices for different tasks.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
For the same reason I am against small TVs and small computer monitors. The more screen real estate you have to work with, the easier it is to work with. The easier it is to play a game rather then squinting at some small objects and trying to not have your hand be in the way all the time. Now naturally there is an upper limit to that...you can't realistically have a 15 inch device with you. But perhaps someday we will have devices that can project an image from them holographically or something. Then, given a choice, would you still want your image to be really small?

Well the issue is our hands aren't getting bigger. TVs aren't held in hands.

However, while the note 2 is big, it is not as hard to hold for my average sized hands as many people make it out to be. In fact the GS3 was quite comfortable too, only problem is one handed operation is not practical in most situations though and i am used to sending texts and dialing contacts using one hand.

I just wish Kingdom Rush came on android. Playing that on a 5.5 inch screen would be awesome during my commute. That game has taken up all my commute time since i installed it on the iPhone 3 weeks ago.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The bad taste argument is subjective. I find carrying an iPhone in any kind of case that has a hole for the apple logo bad taste.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
That's really more in your head than anything.
Many felt the same before switching over and have found alternatives that work just as good or better than what's available through Apple's eco system.

I've switched and have been very happy with it.
Can't imagine going back to Apple at this point.

Yes same here. I dragged and dropped my music and everything worked out okay. I can see many other GN2 users on this forum that switched, been part of it since launch day!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You can't drag+drop onto a note 2 in OS X without installing stuff because the Note 2 doesn't support mass storage. You have to install the MTP driver for the Note 2, which requires installing Kies since the Android File Transfer app doesn't come with that driver. Kies is buggy, and has a wifi client that will spam the living daylight out of your console and eat up cpu cycles if you're using certain machines and Mountain Lion.

However, you can uninstall Kies and still keep the MTP driver required for the Android File Transfer app :) With that, it's sorta drag and drop, in that the app will pop open whenever you plug your phone into the computer. However, the MTP driver can sometimes glitch out.

Another thing is that the updates are OTA or .. kies.. Kies is a piece of crap, we established that! Now, you can't just go to Samsung's website and download the latest version of your phone's firmware. In fact, you can't just do that from Kies either, so if you want to reinstall the factory rom, you'll have to do some hunting.

The phone has a nice firmware installer mode called Odin, but again, the Mac version of that sucks.

To me, that's all no big deal. To someone that goes insane about a tiny spec of a scratch on the back of their iPhone or that moment where they tried a friend's Galaxy S Skyrocket 3G from 2 years ago and it dropped 2 frames transitioning from the home screen to a game's app window.. those dudes would blow a vein dealing with Kies. xD

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I remember feeling the same back in the Nexus One days. I used a Nexus One, went back to my iPhone, and thought "**** this screen is small." Fast forward a few years and it's just no contest between a 4.8 inch and a 4 inch - bigger is better when it comes to smartphone screens (up to a point).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I remember feeling the same back in the Nexus One days. I used a Nexus One, went back to my iPhone, and thought "**** this screen is small." Fast forward a few years and it's just no contest between a 4.8 inch and a 4 inch - bigger is better when it comes to smartphone screens (up to a point).
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5 and one of the appealing features was the smaller screen for me. The opinion that a bigger display is better is only subjective.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5 and one of the appealing features was the smaller screen for me. The opinion that a bigger display is better is only subjective.

What about a smaller device with a bigger screen? Razr M for example is roughly the size of an iPhone 5 except with a 4.3" screen. Or do you just not like large screens? If so why?

Just curious.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You can't drag+drop onto a note 2 in OS X without installing stuff because the Note 2 doesn't support mass storage. You have to install the MTP driver for the Note 2, which requires installing Kies since the Android File Transfer app doesn't come with that driver. Kies is buggy, and has a wifi client that will spam the living daylight out of your console and eat up cpu cycles if you're using certain machines and Mountain Lion.
Why would you need kies when AFT works without it? The last thing I want to do is install kies, especially when I do not need it. I have AFT installed on the mac I am typing this on and it has never had kies installed. I can drag and drop with AFT as I can on my Nexus 4.

Michael

----------

So if the S3 had a smaller screen but was still the same overall size it would be better? I think you meant "smaller phone" not smaller screen. Who wouldn't like a bigger display if all else was equal?

I can see wanting a smaller device, but I don't understand simply wanting a smaller screen.

Michael

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
One concern I have is that I find it really difficult for Apple to add new features to the iPhone due to the small screen. It kind of brings limitations to adding new features.

For example, let's imagine they add a swype style keyboard on iOS 7. Would that be useful and comfortable in such a small screen and small keyboard? I don't see it being very comfortable really.

You need more screen space in order to bring certain features.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
What about a smaller device with a bigger screen? Razr M for example is roughly the size of an iPhone 5 except with a 4.3" screen. Or do you just not like large screens? If so why?

Just curious.

So if the S3 had a smaller screen but was still the same overall size it would be better? I think you meant "smaller phone" not smaller screen. Who wouldn't like a bigger display if all else was equal?

I can see wanting a smaller device, but I don't understand simply wanting a smaller screen.
Yeah if the physical size of the phone was the same as the iPhone is right now but had a bigger screen, I would welcome it as long as everything was in reach when using it one handed. The S3 for me was physically just too big. The screen was nice and was a useful size to use, but most of the time when carrying it around in my pocket, it just felt too big. The thing is its very difficult to have a 5 or 6 inch screen on a device that is 4.5 inches lol.

I upgraded to the iPhone because it was smaller in size and easier to use one handed. The S3 demanded I hold it with one hand and use with the other and if you are carrying something when out and about its not always convenient. It was also difficult because the device itself was much wider so gripping it hindered me. I like the fact I could scroll from top to bottom with my thumb without the risk of dropping the iPhone. I fancied a bigger screen at the time and went with the S3 but reverted back to a 4 inch screen because it didn't suit that's all. The S3 is still a lovely device and would recommend it to others, but it wasn't for me. Having used the iPhone for the past few months I have to say I much prefer iOS. I know there are claims its stale and in need of a revamp which I would support should it happen, but I do enjoy its simplicity and stability. I suppose its great as a consumer we have enough choice. :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Just curious.

With a much smaller bottom bezel a larger screen would be a welcome upgrade for most people I'm sure, as it would still be able to be used with one hand.

Think the iPhone, but with almost the entirety of the bottom bezel being the screen instead of a home button, and then of course it would have to be a bit wider. Would still be very easy to wield.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
With a much smaller bottom bezel a larger screen would be a welcome upgrade for most people I'm sure, as it would still be able to be used with one hand.

Think the iPhone, but with almost the entirety of the bottom bezel being the screen instead of a home button, and then of course it would have to be a bit wider. Would still be very easy to wield.

The bezel isn't going to shrink much without ditching the home button, which might not be a bad idea.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Yeah if the physical size of the phone was the same as the iPhone is right now but had a bigger screen, I would welcome it as long as everything was in reach when using it one handed. The S3 for me was physically just too big. The screen was nice and was a useful size to use, but most of the time when carrying it around in my pocket, it just felt too big. The thing is its very difficult to have a 5 or 6 inch screen on a device that is 4.5 inches lol.

I must admit that it puzzles me somewhat when people say that the S3 is physically too big when compared to an iPhone 5. I just cant seem to work out how much larger one's pockets would have to be.

My iPhone 5 on top of my S3, I felt the iPhone 5 more in my pocket due to it having inferior ergonomics than the SGS3. I think it could be summed up as the SGS3 was more screen whereas the iPhone 5 was more bezel.

guty9uqy_zpsdbca2d06.jpg

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I must admit that it puzzles me somewhat when people say that the S3 is physically too big when compared to an iPhone 5. I just cant seem to work out how much larger one's pockets would have to be.

My iPhone 5 on top of my S3, I felt the iPhone 5 more in my pocket due to it having inferior ergonomics than the SGS3. I think it could be summed up as the SGS3 was more screen whereas the iPhone 5 was more bezel. I eventually sold the iPhone 5 when I upgraded to the SGS3.

It's true. The s3 just disappears in my pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.