Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Might be an old fashioned concept, but some people (like me) believe that what you pay for should actually work. 10.8.x far from that...:mad:

I don't know... 10.8.4 seems to be pretty solid for me. My biggest issue was (mostly) fixed in the last update (2012 Mac mini HDMI issue). I think I've encountered the magenta screen hue two times since then when awaking from sleep.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
I don't know... 10.8.4 seems to be pretty solid for me. My biggest issue was (mostly) fixed in the last update (2012 Mac mini HDMI issue). I think I've encountered the magenta screen hue two times since then when awaking from sleep.

Not at all solid for me compared to SL and earlier (skipped Lion),

Some examples:

If in energy saving you allow it to put disks to sleep:
- Sleeps the disk while apps are writing to it, and app can't then restart the disk (had this happen with three different paid for apps so its not the app)
- Time Machine can't recover if there are two externals and while its backing up one the other goes to sleep - only way out of this is hold the power switch down and pray everything is ok

Time Machine itself very flaky
- Whilst the set-up I have is complex, the changes to this were the prime reason to move to ML - huge disappointment...
- On next backup, doesn't always back up file that I know I have changed - catches up at random time later
- Doesn't like other apps being started in quick succession while its looking for backup disk or cleaning up
- Doesn't like being manually stopped
- Occasionally leaves on some form of lock that causes deadly embrace with other apps/utilities

Safari (in my view not part of OS but as its bundled with it...)
- I can scroll faster than it can render many sites, e.g. this one
- Degrades performance of machine over time if page is one that is auto refreshed

Often won't shut down at all - period (cue lots of rubbish about why do you bother doing this)

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
What is so radically different about this point update that necessitates Apple store employees to be familiar with it before release?

Nothing. It is just a kind of extended-beta testing or pre-release testing. Why? Nothing in particular; just in case.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
No relationship. Why would you think there is?
Apple tests such updates with the newest OS X version. Then they release such small updates like the “Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.08”. That's the case since 10.5.x. Another sign are the printer driver updates, which appear usually 2-4 weeks before Apple releases a new OS X update, like 10.8.5.

mreed911

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
What is so radically different about this point update that necessitates Apple store employees to be familiar with it before release?

Because they can get a wealth of bug reports/crash reports internally, reaching a wider audience, before releasing it to the public. Note it didn't say Apple Store employees, it said Apple employees.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
This isn't really a big deal, especially since 10.9 is coming.

Really. You'd think that this is some kind of big product announcement like the Apple iCar where all Apple Employees have to be mentally prepared or conditioned for something spectacular and breathtaking. But it's really just another minor point-update with a few bug fixes.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple tests such updates with the newest OS X version. Then they release such small updates like the “Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.08”.

Raw update 4.07 was released June 27, 2013. 10.8.4 was released June 4, 2013. There's no relationship to the 10.8.5 release date and 4.08.

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Not at all solid for me compared to SL and earlier (skipped Lion),

Some examples:

If in energy saving you allow it to put disks to sleep:
- Sleeps the disk while apps are writing to it, and app can't then restart the disk (had this happen with three different paid for apps so its not the app)
- Time Machine can't recover if there are two externals and while its backing up one the other goes to sleep - only way out of this is hold the power switch down and pray everything is ok

Time Machine itself very flaky
- Whilst the set-up I have is complex, the changes to this were the prime reason to move to ML - huge disappointment...
- On next backup, doesn't always back up file that I know I have changed - catches up at random time later
- Doesn't like other apps being started in quick succession while its looking for backup disk or cleaning up
- Doesn't like being manually stopped
- Occasionally leaves on some form of lock that causes deadly embrace with other apps/utilities

Safari (in my view not part of OS but as its bundled with it...)
- I can scroll faster than it can render many sites, e.g. this one
- Degrades performance of machine over time if page is one that is auto refreshed

Often won't shut down at all - period (cue lots of rubbish about why do you bother doing this)

Try Time Machine Editor to see if one backup per day (scheduled) helps. I always put my mini to sleep by using a hot corner, and the backups work as planned at 3:00AM to my Time Capsule over WiFi.

Safari: install AdBlock extension. Also, get a RAM monitoring utility, like iCleanMemory to monitor usage. Restart Safari when needed.

I'm not saying these will be a cure all, but these are the utilities/extensions I use and it could be part of why I don't see those issues.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Try Time Machine Editor to see if one backup per day (scheduled) helps. I always put my mini to sleep by using a hot corner, and the backups work as planned at 3:00AM to my Time Capsule over WiFi.

Safari: install AdBlock extension. Also, get a RAM monitoring utility, like iCleanMemory to monitor usage. Restart Safari when needed.

I'm not saying these will be a cure all, but these are the utilities/extensions I use and it could be part of why I don't see those issues.

Thanks anyway, but

I don't want one TM backup a day - I have Retrospect for that - I want it to work as advertised to do the intra-day.

None of the sites I regularly visit for streaming updates feature ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.