Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I'm taking Econ 101 so I need to make some graphs and things, I'm going to be importing them into Evernote. I just downloaded paint brush, which seems to do the trick. Is there any other software that I should try to draw pictures and make graphs/charts?

Thanks in advance!

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Numbers is good if you have it, and the GIMP is free and runs on Mac if you want to do it that way, although a spreadsheet allows for a lot more flexibility.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
MS Excel
OmniGraffle
Omnigraphsketcher
:)

Numbers is good if you have it, and the GIMP is free and runs on Mac if you want to do it that way, although a spreadsheet allows for a lot more flexibility.

I'm an Economist. Wholeheartedly recommend OmniGraphSketcher. Best $20 you'll ever spend.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Omni series and GIMP. I haven't used numbers before so I'll give that a try. The MSoffice series is too slow for my needs, I need to be able to directly import into evernote without huge file sizes and compatibility issues. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
For those kinds of graphs and charts I was also say Numbers or Excel...
My experience with spreadsheet applications leads me to conclude that they are very blunt instruments for producing graphs. It is an excellent analytical tool for science and engineering, but DeltaGraph is arguably the best application for producing presentation-quality business graphs.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
For those kinds of graphs and charts I was also say Numbers or Excel...

My experience with spreadsheet applications leads me to conclude that they are very blunt instruments for producing graphs. It is an excellent analytical tool for science and engineering, but DeltaGraph is arguably the best application for producing presentation-quality business graphs.

I appreciate all the suggestions guys, but I need something a lot quicker than that. My graphs are usually basic without any quantitative data where the only useful pieces are the size/shape/location of the curves/lines on the graph itself. Most of my graphs do not start as a chart or table. I have scanned a few graphs out of one of my text books, it'll work for now and I'll use paint brush for everything else.

EDIT: I'm gonna try omnigraph sketcher again.

Last edited:

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
I appreciate all the suggestions guys, but I need something a lot quicker than that. My graphs are usually basic without any quantitative data where the only useful pieces are the size/shape/location of the curves/lines on the graph itself. Most of my graphs do not start as a chart or table. I have scanned a few graphs out of one of my text books, it'll work for now and I'll use paint brush for everything else.

Try Adobe Illustrator, I use that for crude graphs, timelines, etc. Think of it as a much more advanced Paint. Also, try http://www.mindomo.com, as it provides a lot of tools that might help, and you don't have to download anything.

mxbonnell

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
help on the way

I came across the developer of Cricket Graph from twenty plus years ago. He is close to completing a charting/graph program that will replace Cricket Graph. I never had Cricket Graph, but it was certainly state of the art in its day and was still being used until the latest IOS upgrade. First version is windows version, but he assures it will port to Andriod and Apple products shortly thereafter. I found his website while searching for a clean and simple application for charts and graphs. Company is Draggin Chart with a website of the same name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.