Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Hi

I have an idea for a mac program (its nothing amazing just something simple that will solve a lot of time) I would like to get it developed myself! I say this because I was thinking about sending Mac my idea but they have all rights to it.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience doing such a thing and how would you make a little money from it?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you enroll in Apple's OS X developer program ($99/year) you can sell your app on the OS X App Store, which could make you money (or the $99/year fee could exceed whatever you get paid by customers.)

If you want to program for OS X, you need to learn C first. I suggest reading Learn C The Hard Way, a free ebook (google it.)

reyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Hi thanks for replying. Ok you suggest I make it into a app. That makes sense!! I have googled learn C, very interesting! How difficult is it to learn this sort of programming and make an app?

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
You'll have to learn about pointers, data types, and functions in C. If you want to create a modern OS X app, you'll also have to learn Objective C and its syntax. Both will take some time to learn.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi thanks for replying. Ok you suggest I make it into a app. That makes sense!! I have googled learn C, very interesting! How difficult is it to learn this sort of programming and make an app?

You probably won't make an app with C alone - after you learn C you'll need to learn Obj-C (which is a superset of C), Cocoa (an API/SDK), and Xcode (an IDE.) That's the roadmap of what's ahead, though, take it one step at a time or you're going to get lost along the way.

Learn C first. We'll worry about the other steps when you finish that.

C can take anywhere from 2 weeks - 3 months to learn, depending on how much free time you have and how much your mind already thinks the way it'll need to to program.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
... I was thinking about sending Mac my idea but they have all rights to it.

Who is Mac? Do you mean Apple Inc?

Sending ideas doesn't mean you loose the right to do it your self. Apple covers it's ass by saying you give up any claim from them to ideas that you send them. That is a different thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.