Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turo22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I have been planing to buy an Imac for playing Diablo 3 off course as well for general use, at the moment I only have an Acer laptop which sucks =) But my question is whether to buy it now or to wait for the new. Will the gaming experience be that much better on the new, with Ivy bridge etc. compared to the one in store now ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I will advice holding off until the new iMac is release in case the new one will be better then the current model., Shouldn't be that much longer Could be April 24th Tuesday tomorrow, or maybe even July or something it isn't that far away.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Unfortunately other than the fact that the new iMacs will have IvyBridge processors, it is rather unknown as to what other changes will be in the new iMacs. At this point it's probably worth waiting.

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.
I have been planing to buy an Imac for playing Diablo 3 off course as well for general use, at the moment I only have an Acer laptop which sucks =) But my question is whether to buy it now or to wait for the new. Will the gaming experience be that much better on the new, with Ivy bridge etc. compared to the one in store now ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Considering the game doesn't come out till May 15th you could wait, although the base model is good enough for Skyrim and Battlefield 3, I had the beta this weekend and my pc ran it on high and as you can see in my signature my PC is crap :)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
My 2010 iMac ran the D3 open beta at full res on high for most settings with the ATI 5750 so the current models will probably be just fine. They will probably be even less expensive once the new models come out.

Cheers,

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Of course, the new models will most likely sport a 7000 series AMD GPU, along with that shiny new Ivy Bridge CPU. You can buy now and have good graphics, or wait a little longer and have GREAT graphics. For years to come.:)

hulkki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
21.5" iMac 2011 with 6770M GPU runned Diablo 3 beta at 35-45 fps with these settings:

- 1920x1080 resolution
- details high
- shadows off
- AA on

Performace in OS X should be better in retail though according to blizzard:

"There are currently some performance issues with the Mac version of Beta 16. The build may be performing slower than it did before the patch. We are aware of this issue and hope to resolve it in a future patch."

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4253974026

I also should note that the game feeled much smoother with vsync on. Fps was locked to 30. I hope i see performance increase in retail so I get 60 fps with vsync on.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
To add a further go for it kinda post:

I have been playing the Beta on full settings with shadows on Medium with my 2009 27" i7 Quad core iMac with no difficulty.

The only complaint I have is that the graphics are looking a little tired with my old machine. Detailing is still adequate but not stellar. A new video card would likely make quite the difference.

OH, but I haven't been playing it on highest res, I have been playing it on perhaps the 3rd or 4th setting down. The graphics lag a bit if I try to play within the top 3 resolution settings.

Turo22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for all your answers, think I will wait for the new Imac then and hopefully it will be available before Diablo 3 comes out, otherwise I will try to borrow a computer.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
This thread has stirred my interest in Diablo 3. I played the original Diablo in College when it came out my Freshman year. That was not so good for my studies, lol. I still remember the opening music. At any rate, I think it's great that it is being developed for OS X. Most games I will install in Bootcamp, but it's nice to have a game that you can run while on the Mac side.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
This thread has stirred my interest in Diablo 3. I played the original Diablo in College when it came out my Freshman year. That was not so good for my studies, lol. I still remember the opening music. At any rate, I think it's great that it is being developed for OS X. Most games I will install in Bootcamp, but it's nice to have a game that you can run while on the Mac side.

Blizzard has always been a top quality outfit, but one of the coolest things they have consistently done for a long time is release hybrid versions of their software (will play on WinX or OS X). When I bought my first iMac two years ago, I got Starcraft 2 and have enjoyed it immensely. When I opened my battle.net account, I was able to register my copies of Warcraft 3 and the original Starcraft (that I bought in 1998!) and was then able to download Mac OS X clients for these programs. Awesomeness.

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.

When I finally get my iMac I am thinking of keeping all my games on my Bootcamp partition just to keep everything separate, it may even help my studies because the temptation won't be there, although I know it is very simple and quick to just restart my PC but they won't be sat in my dock staring at me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.