Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Ugh finding a 16GB white one is nearly impossible. For anyone who wants the black one though, this is awesome.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
My iPad 4 is a very nice upgrade from my iPad two, that's obvious. But at the price Apple is asking for the mini, their greed is showing. Yes, they're selling like crazy, but most everything with an Apple logo does. I just can't help but wonder how explosive the sales would be if they'd priced it at $299. With time & progress continually pushing the competitors prices lower, it just seems that long term sales of the mini would benefit. I guess we will see in Q1 if prices of the competition are reduced like recent rumors report.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
My iPad 4 is a very nice upgrade from my iPad two, that's obvious. But at the price Apple is asking for the mini, their greed is showing. Yes, they're selling like crazy, but most everything with an Apple logo does. I just can't help but wonder how explosive the sales would be if they'd priced it at $299. With time & progress continually pushing the competitors prices lower, it just seems that long term sales of the mini would benefit. I guess we will see in Q1 if prices of the competition are reduced like recent rumors report.

$299 or $329...who cares, it's a $30 difference...

I returned my iPad 4 for the mini...it's that good! And old hardware or not, it's fast, the screen looks really great and because they are selling millions of these things it will be supported for a few years...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
$299 or $329...who cares, it's a $30 difference...

I returned my iPad 4 for the mini...it's that good! And old hardware or not, it's fast, the screen looks really great and because they are selling millions of these things it will be supported for a few years...
My point has nothing to do with it's quality, performance, or any of the reasons why your personal preference is the mini over your 4.

The point is $29.00 _is_ an influencing factor.

Why is any product priced at $4.99 or 9.99 or 299 ? it's a time tested marketing driven decision that _does_affect sales.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
My point has nothing to do with it's quality, performance, or any of the reasons why your personal preference is the mini over your 4.

The point is $29.00 _is_ an influencing factor.

Why is any product priced at $4.99 or 9.99 or 299 ? it's a time tested marketing driven decision that _does_affect sales.

I work in marketing, have worked with dozens of Fortune 500 companies in my 10 years so far...but thanks for the lesson ;)

As far as I know, minis are out of stock everywhere in the world, they can't keep up with demand, it's called supply and demand... so I guess the $29 difference doesn't matter after all does it...

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

The mini is actually below the average apple profit margin, Apple knows how to price something to maximise profits. They probably have the best financial team in the world lol.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I work in marketing, have worked with dozens of Fortune 500 companies in my 10 years so far...but thanks for the lesson ;)

As far as I know, minis are out of stock everywhere in the world, they can't keep up with demand, it's called supply and demand... so I guess the $29 difference doesn't matter after all does it...
I never said it hampered sales. Vanity sells Apple products no matter the price. What I did say is sales would be even stronger at $299. A fact that even a marketing guru like you can understand.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The mini is actually below the average apple profit margin, Apple knows how to price something to maximise profits. They probably have the best financial team in the world lol.
Your response is totally irrelevant. None of what you're talking about was discussed. Anyone with one wit of knowledge, knows Apples practices.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I never said it hampered sales. Vanity sells Apple products no matter the price. What I did say is sales would be even stronger at $299. A fact that even a marketing guru like you can understand.

They can't sell more than they have. They aren't available anywhere, even at their premium price. A lower price would only have lowered profits. Apple, as a publicly held corporation, has an obligation to maximize profits...a lower price on the mini would not accomplish this.

It just so happens that I think the mini is overpriced as well, but that's just a personal opinion and clearly (judging by sales) there are many people who disagree with me. Apple would be crazy to lower the price at the moment.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Your response is totally irrelevant. None of what you're talking about was discussed. Anyone with one wit of knowledge, knows Apples practices.

Your original post is irreverent to this thread. You've completely derailed the OP's thread.

1st post: Here's somewhere to get the 16 Mini.
2nd post: This should help out others.
3rd post (yours): My iPad 4 is awesome!!!!!1 The Mini is overpriced!!!!1 Apple is greedy!!!!!!1one

OP, thanks for posting this. The 16's seem like the hardest thing to find right now.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Umm yes its totally relevant. You said that apple was greedy yet this is one of their products that doesn't have as high profit margin, lower than the big iPad. And you said something about Q1 sales and as i said apple knows how to maximise their profits. Everything about what i was talking about corresponded to what you said. Do some research before you say the mini is overpriced. Especially compared to other apple products.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Umm yes its totally relevant. You said that apple was greedy yet this is one of their products that doesn't have as high profit margin, lower than the big iPad. And you said something about Q1 sales and as i said apple knows how to maximise their profits. Everything about what i was talking about corresponded to what you said. Do some research before you say the mini is overpriced. Especially compared to other apple products.
I'm not sure how you got so lost.

At no time did I say it was overpriced. Feel free to read my posts again, perhaps that will help you.

Only those programmed to accept all of Apples marketing spin, fail to think for themselves and back the company line. While all companies strive for maximum profits, only Apple has such a convincing pitch.

Citing sales volume as though the profits go into their own pockets, I don't know of any other company whose customers are so dedicated to the company as opposed to their own financial gain.

I admire what Apple has accomplished. My point was how amazing it might be to see even greater sales by simply pricing the product at the amount I suggested.

superdave2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
It is hard to find a mini in Houston as well.
Does anyone know what time the ipads arrive in the store (new stock)

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Can't find any in the Baltimore area.

Starting to feel like robbing one of the people on Craigslist that is selling 5 of them for $450/ea for the 16GB wifi. :mad: :p

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not sure how you got so lost.

At no time did I say it was overpriced. Feel free to read my posts again, perhaps that will help you.

Only those programmed to accept all of Apples marketing spin, fail to think for themselves and back the company line. While all companies strive for maximum profits, only Apple has such a convincing pitch.

Citing sales volume as though the profits go into their own pockets, I don't know of any other company whose customers are so dedicated to the company as opposed to their own financial gain.

I admire what Apple has accomplished. My point was how amazing it might be to see even greater sales by simply pricing the product at the amount I suggested.

You don't have to spell something out to say it. "the price Apple is asking for the mini, their greed is showing." This is the one of the least greedy products apple has released. Greedy means to have an excessive desire for wealth (money) and in this case is very ironic you would say because as i have said numerous times this is one of their least money making products. The mini is a bargain and hence why it is selling so well according to panel checks. The fact that it costs only $100 more than the competition and is made by high quality materials and for the cost of $330 you can have access to the Apple ecosystem and 300000 ipad apps is wonderful. What i have been correcting this whole time, yet you seem to not understand me, is that this product is not an act of greed but rather the opposite from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.