Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Hello,
I am getting into iPhone development as a hobby and I am a bit lost about where do I even start for learning the graphics design side of iPhone development. This is not in regards to learning how to program code. I'm talking about making logos, icons, those cute little characters, buttons, backgrounds, etc. There seems like there are some good resources to learn how to program iPhone apps from scratch but I'm not finding much about graphics design. Any have any good recommendations for a complete noob? The guide should probably start off telling me what programs I need! (There are a lot of them out of there, which to use for different applications). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm eager to learn!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Google for Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials. Both of those are pretty standard, and youll be able to create sny still graphics that you need. You can become very skilled with both using the internet and a bit of time alone. No need to fret about finding specific instructions about how to design for iPhone apps specifically. There's nothing different design-wise, whether you're creating elements for a brochure, or an iPhone app.

Try psdtuts+ and vectortuts+

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Blender.org for the models ( 3D or 2D cartoon )
Photoshop for the skins and textures

Unity Game Engine for the game ( I used Torque long ago, but have moved to Unity because it's pretty damn amazing, airplay, ipad as a controller, depth of field, ect )

PS That's just a start! There are a million ways to accomplish what you are looking to do. Just pick one and go with it. You will learn it's strengths and weaknesses and THEN be able to compare and pick the proper tools for the job.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The way I learned was by downloading others PSDs and analyzing how they created the files in Photoshop and of course lots of reading on UI and UX. For a little inspiration check out UI Parade and Inspired UI. If you want to check out how others craft interfaces, download some of the PSDs from Premium Pixels and play around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.