Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:54 AM   #51
Felasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Tobacco companies should be held to the same standards as any other company for misleading advertising.
Your sentiment reflects the purpose of this thread. Why do we not hold the tobacco companies to the same standard we apply to anybody else?

If I coded a computer game which was deliberately engineered to be highly addictive, and when used as directed the game caused Macs to explode, and 480,000 people a year died from this, with many more injured, and this had been going on for years, with the death toll climbing in to the millions, and I lied about the whole thing and pretended everything was fine...

What would be the appropriate response from the Mac community to a software developer such as that? Wouldn't the Mac community and probably much of the rest of the net be in an outraged hysterical uproar?

Suppose I coded some software that allowed me to spam this forum in a way the mods could not defeat (this is just a hypothetical!). Every day you come to MacRumors and find even more spam from me in the threads.

Would we say, "Oh well, it's really the reader's fault because they chose to read those posts"? Would we say, "Oh well, posting in forums is legal"? I'm guessing what would happen is that some of the more skilled members of the forum would launch a witch hunt whose goal was to kick my butt big time.

While this thread is about tobacco, it's also about us, and how we come to the opinions that we hold. Why do we go crazy over some things, and take a casual ho-hum stance in regards to other much larger things?

Last edited by Felasco; Jun 20, 2014 at 06:14 AM.
Felasco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:26 AM   #52
noodlemanc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Just ban tobacco and the problem is solved.
Yep, just like we banned drugs and solved that problem
noodlemanc is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues