Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Different iPhone Sizes
Apple should have multiple iPhone sizes (like all other apple products) 23 31.94%
Keep one iPhone screen size. 49 68.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:22 AM   #1
kiantech
macrumors regular

iPhone Pro

We have 13" MBP and 15" MBP. What do you think of apple making two versions of the iPhone. 4" and a larger ~4.7"? I see people jump too quickly saying we only need one screen. Why? Apple makes multiple screen sizes for their desktops, notebooks, and even iPads now. Why not the iPhone. I think its a good direction to make everyone happy.

Also technically, apple makes two iPhone sizes now, but not at launch.

Please keep this discussion intelligent. Explain why you agree or disagree.
kiantech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:24 AM   #2
vaio1990
Banned

Hmm that's a great name.... Or we can just call the current iPhone as iPhone Mini
vaio1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:26 AM   #3
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

I doubt there's a need (demand) for two iPhone sizes. As long as Apple keeps putting "iPhone" on a product, regardless of the size of the screen, people will buy it. Two screen sizes creates unnecessary problems for Apple.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:32 AM   #4
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

If they start to bring out multiple screen sizes with multiple hardware specs, just watch what happens to our beloved app store ; )

That is all.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:43 AM   #5
kiantech
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
If they start to bring out multiple screen sizes with multiple hardware specs, just watch what happens to our beloved app store ; )

That is all.
I thought about this. We already have multiple resolutions and DPIs. Maybe the software needs to evolve like the desktop. Computer applications are able to scale with resolutions. What makes a touch screen device different.
kiantech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:49 AM   #6
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiantech View Post
I thought about this. We already have multiple resolutions and DPIs. Maybe the software needs to evolve like the desktop. Computer applications are able to scale with resolutions. What makes a touch screen device different.
What makes a touch device any different?

Android.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:12 AM   #7
ixodes
macrumors 601

Isn't it fascinating how narrow minded people can be? Fearful ... paranoid. Is Apple enjoying too much success?

These same people argued against the iPad mini, and yet Apple hasn't self destructed after creating one.

But two sizes of iPhones would be too difficult? Or destroy the company? Would the app developers quit?

Really?

Are you sure?

And just how do you know?

Please tell us more, wise visionaries...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Ultimately Apple will only do it if they feel that it's justified by the potential profits. Right now it's probably easier, cheaper, and more efficient to mass produce one device. Plus sales haven't fallen off, but have instead increased despite the flood of large Android phones into the market. It took them a while just be able to keep iPhone 5s stocked in stores. So right now the mass market hasn't decided that it wants large 5"+ screen phones from Apple. If sales slow due to screen size, then you may see Apple react with a larger model.

Bottom line: Apple will only do it if/when the potential profit is worthwhile.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:48 AM   #9
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post

That is all.
Ehh? is that not what we have now, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5. iPad 4, iPad mini not too mention all the legacy devices like 3GS? They all have different screen sizes/resolutions and hardware specs.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:57 AM   #10
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Ehh? is that not what we have now, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5. iPad 4, iPad mini not too mention all the legacy devices like 3GS? They all have different screen sizes/resolutions and hardware specs.
Not really. I think the developers are focusing their attention on making the software as smooth as possible on the latest flagship machines (iPad 4th generation, iPhone5). With the other devices you mentioned, the software does not necessarily run as smoothly, and I'm sure the iPhone 4S and iPad Mini apps are now just scaled down versions of the full sized apps.

If you have two iPhone lines, the app store will be further fragmented, because there will be 2 iPhones coming out each year, and so the one with the higher spec will be the focus while the lower spec iPhone will get the boot.

So what you are basically arguing for is for making the iPhone Pro the main iPhone, and the iPhone would just have the smaller 4" display that no one really wants because it is no longer the flagship.

I think this discussion is moot. Apple has based the foundation of their cellular phone on the fact that it's one hand operational and has a stable and solid app store. Building a second iPhone with a larger screen is just contradictory.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

I'd love apple to have two sizes - a 4.3+ screen for everyone who wants that and go back to 3.5" for the other size: I haven't upgraded my 4s because I simply don't want a bigger screen (I've tried bigger screens and didn't like them at all)
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:10 AM   #12
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
I'd love apple to have two sizes - a 4.3+ screen for everyone who wants that and go back to 3.5" for the other size: I haven't upgraded my 4s because I simply don't want a bigger screen (I've tried bigger screens and didn't like them at all)
The app store would be a mess. The developers would have to to script their apps for different screen sizes and just getting that approved by Apple would take even longer. The only way it would work is if the screen dimensions kept a 16:9 aspect.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13
benkelly92
macrumors newbie

I'm a developer myself and I've got to say I'm in support of this, when making an app we already have to make non-retina, retina and 4" graphics. I also have a Galaxy SIII and the screen is really cool, I would love to have an Apple device that big.

The problem with Android is there are literally hundreds of devices and too many spam and useless apps in the play store. Still, apps on android aren't terrible, I think that there are some other underlying problems there such as lack of frameworks and sluggishness of the jve running on low power devices. I think Apple could pull it off.
benkelly92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:39 PM   #14
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
I'm against this. It seems too nit-picky even for Apple standards. Their phones have always been released in standard sizes, I can't imagine them changing that now. Laptops/notebooks, on the other hand, have always come in all different shapes and sizes (as an industry standard), so It's more understandable for them to provide people with variety on that front.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #15
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

The reason why the iPhone experience is nirvana is because they keep it uniform. This is why android is so fragmented and sloppy.
iHailCarlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
We have 13" MBP and 15" MBP. What do you think of apple making two versions of the iPhone. 4" and a larger ~4.7"? I see people jump too quickly saying we only need one screen. Why? Apple makes multiple screen sizes for their desktops, notebooks, and even iPads now. Why not the iPhone. I think its a good direction to make everyone happy.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple is axing resolutions and screen sizes in an effort to conform down.

They got rid of the 17" MBP, and the iPad mini uses the resolution of the iPad 2.

I think it's safe to say they are trying to reduce their product line options not expand them wildly.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyRenegade33 View Post
I'm against this. It seems too nit-picky even for Apple standards. Their phones have always been released in standard sizes, I can't imagine them changing that now. Laptops/notebooks, on the other hand, have always come in all different shapes and sizes (as an industry standard), so It's more understandable for them to provide people with variety on that front.
That's just what people are used to. Had they released 2 sizes right from the beginning and suddenly decided to drop to one, you would have mass hysteria.
Haifisch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:39 PM   #18
kiantech
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Apple is axing resolutions and screen sizes in an effort to conform down.

They got rid of the 17" MBP, and the iPad mini uses the resolution of the iPad 2.

I think it's safe to say they are trying to reduce their product line options not expand them wildly.
By your argument apple will never release a retina iPad mini.
kiantech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:

It's better to have just one screen size no need to complicate things. What would be the use of a 5 inch screen over 4.
Myiphone7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:45 PM   #20
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haifisch View Post
That's just what people are used to. Had they released 2 sizes right from the beginning and suddenly decided to drop to one, you would have mass hysteria.
Not necessarily. The thing that sets Apple apart from other mobile OS developers (Microsoft, Google, RIM etc.) is that they also make their own hardware. They have more control over the uniformity of both the software and the hardware aspect of their products.

For example, Motorola, LG, Nokia and Samsung, like any other business, are out to make as much money as possible - so they're going to release as many handsets in as many different sizes as possible - considering that they can only rely on pulling in profits via handset manufacturing (as oppose to software).

Apple is unique in the sense that they aren't subject to this sort of pressure - so they don't over-complicate their phone product line (in terms of hardware). Standardization plays a huge role in their approach towards integrating simplicity and uniformity into their products.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone