Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have read that there is a way to measure LTE signal strength, but I cannot seem to find out how to do it after a web search. I have also read of a method for actually showing the signal strength on the top bar of the Iphone near the AT&T symbol, but I forgot where I read this also.

I was recently in NYC and was surprised to have my battery drain in a very short time despite limited use and despite adjusting all of the appropriate settings to minimize battery use(bluetooth, brightness, notifications, location services). I suspect this was happening due to LTE connection strength in the city, and I would like some way to measure signal strength.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
What you're looking for is called Field Test Mode. To access it, go into the phone app's keypad, dial *3001#12345#* and tap "call."

Signal strength will show up next to the AT&T symbol as a unit of deciBels (dB), respresented as a negative number. So the numbers will kinda be in reverse: higher negative dB values will mean lower signal.

-105 to -100 = Bad signal/you're probably going to drop calls
-99 to -90 = Mediocre
-89 to -80 = OK
-79 to -65 = Good
Over -65 = Are you sure you aren't holding your iPhone right next to the cell site transmitter?

Realistically though, the way to know for sure whether LTE is causing the battery drain is to go into Settings -> General -> Cellular and turn LTE off. Then see if you get the same battery drain or not.

Last edited:

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
what's interesting is that the iphone is not automatically switching to the 4g network w/ connections above 110 etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.