Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
On my previous phone, a BlackBerry Bold 9780, I chose for the option to make my number unknown, so when I called someone my number wouldn't show up.
But now I'm trying to get rid of it on my iPhone 5 so each time I call my girlfriend she doesn't have to say 'who is this?' but it isn't really working out that well...
I turned the 'show caller id' option in the settings app off and on again to see if that would make any changes but it didn't. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I think there's a prefix you can dial to temporarily allow your callerid, but leave it disabled by default. As an example let's say that the prefix is *72 and your girlfriend's number is 111-555-1234. You could then save her number in your phone as
*72,1115551234. Ask your service provider for the correct prefix.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Hi
On my previous phone, a BlackBerry Bold 9780, I chose for the option to make my number unknown, so when I called someone my number wouldn't show up.
But now I'm trying to get rid of it on my iPhone 5 so each time I call my girlfriend she doesn't have to say 'who is this?' but it isn't really working out that well...
I turned the 'show caller id' option in the settings app off and on again to see if that would make any changes but it didn't. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Need to call your carrier customer service/tech support number mate.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
settings > phone > show my caller ID

At least your Caller ID won't show up when you call.

The downside is that your friends won't know it is you calling even if they have your number in contacts.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
settings > phone > show my caller ID

At least your Caller ID won't show up when you call.

The downside is that your friends won't know it is you calling even if they have your number in contacts.

1. The OP already tried that.

2. The OP is trying to make caller ID show, not hide it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.