Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Video game broadcasting platform Twitch has released an update for its iOS app, bringing new features such as a redesigned chat interface and a live toggle between mobile-ready and desktop-optimized streams. Also, the update increases the amount of viewable channels on the app to 750 channels total, up from 200 previously, and adds integration with live in-game offers from gaming platform Steam.

twitchscreenshots.jpg
First and foremost, we've greatly increased the number of live channels available on the mobile apps from the top 200 channels, to more than 750 at any given moment. This is an improvement made across all our mobile apps, including Xbox. That number will continue to increase as we improve our HLS capacity on a global level.

Chat has also received a makeover, both on the surface and under the hood. It sports a new, cleaner look, support for emoticons, and is overall more efficient and more stable.
Twitch is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitch for iOS Updated with 750 Live Channels, Redesigned Chat Interface

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Who cares? They need to make money. How does it harm you in any way?
As a reader of rumors and news site i don't like ads posing as news items. But why do you care to comment my comment? How does my comment harm you in any way?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Reading the title, I had no idea what this was all about.

Then, I was like, "Ohhh, you mean Twitch.tv!" Seriously, my brand association is with twitch.tv, not twitch.

iRockMan1

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Nashville, Tn
Up from 200, which was presumably down from there being no limit. They got a lot of flack for that.

I don't understand why you can't watch everyone on Twitch.tv from the iOS app.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hmm seems cool although I don't really game much.
To be honest if you find a popular stream of a game that you like it can be enjoyable to chat with others that share similar interests. I participate quite heavily in MechWarrior: Online even in its current state. I've found the streaming aspect more interesting and on occasion get to drop in matches that are streamed.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
To be honest if you find a popular stream of a game that you like it can be enjoyable to chat with others that share similar interests. I participate quite heavily in MechWarrior: Online even in its current state. I've found the streaming aspect more interesting and on occasion get to drop in matches that are streamed.

Yea good point seems like a pretty good service. now I just need to learn to game a bit lol. Also seems like a good place to check out some games.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yea good point seems like a pretty good service. now I just need to learn to game a bit lol. Also seems like a good place to check out some games.
It's surprisingly helpful to watch someone stream a game before making any game purchases. Or in some cases just watch someone load up an emulator and watch them to kill some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.