Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radek42

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere
Regarding Dell U2413 ...

I finally pulled trigger on the monitor when it was on special. It came with pretty bad bleed with sever green cast in lower left corner. Fortunately, Dell replaced it promptly. However, the new monitor is even worst than the first. It seems that the green cast is a feature ... I will return it; two lemons is enough.

I will try ASUS PA249q next or perhaps NEC P-series monitors (P232W or P2421 or 2W). Each option is a bit more expensive, but I rather have working monitor.

Anybody has experience with NEC monitors I mentioned?

Cheers. R>

Hope i did not come over as some Eizo Snob but have been through the learning curve( and still and will be always learning)
I have earned some of my income from Photography some which involved taking photos of very expensive hand made carpets and fabrics where colour accuracy was paramount and had to get a very accurate colour workflow organised.
Happy photography and enjoy your new monitor.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Regarding Dell U2413 ...

I finally pulled trigger on the monitor when it was on special. It came with pretty bad bleed with sever green cast in lower left corner. Fortunately, Dell replaced it promptly. However, the new monitor is even worst than the first. It seems that the green cast is a feature ... I will return it; two lemons is enough.

I will try ASUS PA249q next or perhaps NEC P-series monitors (P232W or P2421 or 2W). Each option is a bit more expensive, but I rather have working monitor.

Anybody has experience with NEC monitors I mentioned?

Cheers. R>

We have quite a few NEC's at work. The P232 is nice but has a slightly narrower colour space than the PA242. If you only shoot SRGB then go for the P232. If you want a wider colour gamut then go for the P242. It is the first generation NEC's with LED backlighting. It's only recently been updated, so you might find a bargain PA241 if you shop around. None of ours have the any colour casts or other issues.

radek42

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

I guess you meant PA242 in your post (highlighted). The price difference is quite a bit.

I generally shoot Adobe color space, but since I don't do photography for living I think I would be ok with narrower gamut ... as long as they work as they suppose to.

I wish I could see P242 and PA242 side-by-side to judge difference ...

Cheers, R>

We have quite a few NEC's at work. The P232 is nice but has a slightly narrower colour space than the PA242. If you only shoot SRGB then go for the P232. If you want a wider colour gamut then go for the P242. It is the first generation NEC's with LED backlighting. It's only recently been updated, so you might find a bargain PA241 if you shop around. None of ours have the any colour casts or other issues.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for your reply.

I guess you meant PA242 in your post (highlighted). The price difference is quite a bit.

I generally shoot Adobe color space, but since I don't do photography for living I think I would be ok with narrower gamut ... as long as they work as they suppose to.

Cheers, R>

Sorry yes PA242. In all honesty there isn't that much difference. Both will work as supposed to. In the UK you get a three year on site warranty as standard. Not sure what the warranty is where you are.
We also have a couple of Spectraview Reference 271's which are beautiful. Bit out of my price range though!

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Honestly, you likely wouldn't see much of a difference out of the box. The extended color space doesn't buy you much until you get into a color managed work flow. Once you get everything setup properly your prints should come out as close as possible to your displayed image.

Short of that goal you might notice that your printer is slightly too red, or too dark or something similar. When you know how your printer and monitor behaves then you can make adjustments to correct it before you print. This will be true with either monitor. Once everything is correctly calibrated then you will see much more consistent results.

Bottom line: Get the wide color gamut if you can. If not, then know you can still get good results from the lower gamut screen.

radek42

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Thanks. I suspected (or rather hoped for) similar response.

I plan to calibrate either display with DataColor Spyder4 PRO hardware. It seems to do pretty good job and it's cheaper than SW hardware bundled with NEC monitors.

I am starting to think that P-series monitor will suffice for my photo-hobby.

I appreciate all your insightful comments.

Radek

PS. Strangely, I noticed that NEC monitors only display 8- or 10-bit colors depending on input used, despite 14-bit internal LUTs.

Honestly, you likely wouldn't see much of a difference out of the box. The extended color space doesn't buy you much until you get into a color managed work flow. Once you get everything setup properly your prints should come out as close as possible to your displayed image.

Short of that goal you might notice that your printer is slightly too red, or too dark or something similar. When you know how your printer and monitor behaves then you can make adjustments to correct it before you print. This will be true with either monitor. Once everything is correctly calibrated then you will see much more consistent results.

Bottom line: Get the wide color gamut if you can. If not, then know you can still get good results from the lower gamut screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.