Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1
iOSOS
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Siri vs Google voice search

Is it just me or is Google voice search so extremely superior than Siri. With the Google search app I can use voice search in my own language and it gets everything correct. Siri doesn't even recognize the name Elvis Presley when I speak in English. Ex. Did you mean wrong.. Presley, Even Presley, Eye Presley!?

Apple really need to step up its voice search.
iOSOS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Siiiiide of Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSOS View Post
Apple really need to step up its voice search.
Agreed...I find myself constantly needing Elvis Presley related I formation on at LEAST a daily basis...screw the weather, sports scores, directions....
MozMan68 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Voice search is less functional, but I do enjoy the more natural-sounding voice.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
iOSOS
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Agreed...I find myself constantly needing Elvis Presley related I formation on at LEAST a daily basis...screw the weather, sports scores, directions....
I bet you search for more stuff like that than sport scores or the weather!
iOSOS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
bearda
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germantown, MD
I don't know, the one time we did a back-to-back test between my 4S and a coworker's Galaxy Nexus running Jellybean the Siri results were much more consistent than Google's. Asking the same question three times in a row the Android phone once timed out, once produced the results in a card, and once spoke them aloud. I think we both came away with the impression Siri did better, but YMMV.
bearda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Kroner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norway
Siri was able to hear me say Elvis Pressley fine, and so did Google voice.

I do like that Google voice supports my language. However Google voice doesn't hear me perfectly in my language every time, I still need to test it a bit more.

For the most part I have no use for them, I mostly use them for fun. Although I do like to use Siri when I can't bother to open my eyes and set the alarm on my iPad .
Only used Siri for less than 1 week, and I barely ever use Google voice.
Kroner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:16 PM   #7
iOSOS
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroner View Post
Siri was able to hear me say Elvis Pressley fine, and so did Google voice.

I do like that Google voice supports my language. However Google voice doesn't hear me perfectly in my language every time, I still need to test it a bit more.

For the most part I have no use for them, I mostly use them for fun. Although I do like to use Siri when I can't bother to open my eyes and set the alarm on my iPad .
Only used Siri for less than 1 week, and I barely ever use Google voice.
Okey, maybe its just me that listens to Avis Presley!
iOSOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:10 AM   #8
antdawe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
you cant compare the two.

Google search is what it says a glorified voice search.

Siri is a personal assistant and is far more integrated into the phone.

Goolgle simply searches google and other sources and puts them onto pretty cards.

Having used both daily I can assure you that siri is the clear winner.

reminders, appointments, contacts, plus everything the google one does.
antdawe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #9
mleary
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdawe View Post
you cant compare the two.

Google search is what it says a glorified voice search.

Siri is a personal assistant and is far more integrated into the phone.
You can compare the voice recognition capabilities, which is what I think this thread is about?
mleary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:31 AM   #10
d.steve
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I think it's totally fair to compare google voice search to apple's dictation.

Thee dictation button being built into the keyboard for any text entry makes it so more useful, but are the results better for one than the other?
d.steve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
antdawe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleary View Post
You can compare the voice recognition capabilities, which is what I think this thread is about?
My bad,

Didnt read the question properly
antdawe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:21 AM   #12
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Siri does ok for me (USA) as far as voice recognition goes. The only thing I don't like is it relies on network data for everything. I hate when it times out just trying to send a text.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 AM   #13
chakraj
macrumors 65816
 
chakraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
here are your google results for "in this parsley"
__________________
Why am I here? “On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits. Let not the fruits of action be thy motive, Nor be thy attachment to inaction.”
chakraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 PM   #14
brylliant
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSOS View Post
Is it just me or is Google voice search so extremely superior than Siri. With the Google search app I can use voice search in my own language and it gets everything correct. Siri doesn't even recognize the name Elvis Presley when I speak in English. Ex. Did you mean wrong.. Presley, Even Presley, Eye Presley!?

Apple really need to step up its voice search.
Just use what works best for you.
brylliant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Didn't want to start a new thread, but google voice search is now enabled inside the google app from the App Store. Pretty awesome. Now if it could just be its own seperste icon on the home screen with having to open the app...
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Joesmith13245
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Voice search is less functional, but I do enjoy the more natural-sounding voice.
It's only less functional because of Apple's strict policy on 3rd party applications that provide similar functionality to that of core IOS apps. Hoping they will relax this in the future. Or you can always Jailbreak.
Joesmith13245 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSOS View Post
Is it just me or is Google voice search so extremely superior than Siri. With the Google search app I can use voice search in my own language and it gets everything correct. Siri doesn't even recognize the name Elvis Presley when I speak in English. Ex. Did you mean wrong.. Presley, Even Presley, Eye Presley!?

Apple really need to step up its voice search.
Are you saying you are mixing up 2 languages? Your 'own language' plus the words "Elvis Presley"?
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Small White Car
macrumors G3
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdawe View Post
you cant compare the two.


....


I can assure you that siri is the clear winner.

Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:15 AM   #19
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Speaking of multiple languages, Google search, and voice recognition, you guys should try out Google Translate.

I spoke to Google Translate in multiple languages such as: English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese.

Seems to work pretty well. It doesn't understand a few languages like Vietnamese and wasn't an option for voice recognition.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #20
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a
 
thedeejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Straight up. Siri sucks. There's not one thing someone can say to convince me other wise. On the other hand, like you stated, Google Voice is extremely slick, accurate and quick.
thedeejay is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:33 AM   #21
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
Straight up. Siri sucks. There's not one thing someone can say to convince me other wise. On the other hand, like you stated, Google Voice is extremely slick, accurate and quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rpP_lXY#t=159s

From the above video, Siri was more accurate and did more things correctly. So if Siri sucks, Google Voice was worst.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Voice Search max pl iOS 7 2 Oct 13, 2013 05:10 PM
TIP: How to Use Voice Search To Activate Google Maps for iOS W/out Siri or Jail Break Tunnelrunner iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Dec 28, 2012 08:48 AM
Funny Siri vs Google Search video Piggie iPad 2 Jul 19, 2012 05:50 AM
Siri vs. Google Now Voice Search (40+ questions) pk7 iPhone 1 Jul 5, 2012 12:51 PM
New Google voice search on Android beats Siri in every test neiltc13 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 3 Jun 28, 2012 03:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC