Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Seems to me maybe your someone who can't afford 4G LTE and therefore have to justify why you don't want to get it. However what you and a lot of other people seem to forget that speeds vary for everyone even on the same network depending on where they are.

I'm on O2 currently and here in London I get very poor coverage especially at home and at work. My typical download speeds are around 2-3 Mbps. You're lucky if you can get things like web pages, emails etc. load instantly because I can't. Sure I could move to another network on 3G with unlimited data and maybe cost less. That said 4G makes a big difference not only to data natively but also to faster 3G speeds and better 3G signals too. Yes EE is expensive for what you get as they've got no competition but in my opinion its still worth it.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with bragging rights and everything to do with a far better user experience. I don't what speeds I will get but if I can get 20-50 Mbps that's going to be much better then I would get on 3G. I really don't want to switch to a network like Three even though a lot of people seem to swear by them as they have poor customer service and there coverage where I am is poor as well. I'm willing to try EE 4G LTE service even if its for 12 months as it would be SIM only for me so not that expensive.

Nothing to do with money my friend. If I wanted it, I'd get it.

For whatever reason, I get (much) better speed on O2 in London than you seem to and I genuinely can't think of many times when I wish it was faster, or think that it's slow. Unless, you're using the phone as a modem on a regular basis etc...

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Amusing, my office is about 2 miles from the middle of Milton Keynes and no provider gets past 2mb d/l. As far as I know 4g isn't coming here soon. I don't know how the salesman in the old t mobile store could ask me with a straight face whether I was interested in 4g after I'd said this (and I live in the sticks)..

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
Nah, EE is kinda crappy here. Waiting for O2 or Vodafone to switch to 4G and finally THEN will I be upgrading.

Cheers!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sorry, I know it's not the objective of this thread, but;

I don't see why people care. It's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

I'm regularly getting 10+Mbps on O2 3g (sometimes more, but appreciate that it's location dependant). With speeds like that, and given that I still have an original unlimited data plan, there's no way I'd consider EE.

What do you do with your phones that you require such blistering wireless speeds? If it's to use a tethered modem then I can understand (but they'll fleece you on data still). Loading mobile webpages 0.0001 seconds faster? Even when my phone is crawling along at 3-5 Mbps, it's plenty fast for everyday usage; webpages load instantly, emails send instantly, everything is more or less instant.

Seems to me that peoples main concern is bragging rights with their screenshots on forums like this.

In your day-to-day life, is 4G actually beneficial and worth the massive cost that EE is charging for it?

Well to be honest I reckon 90% of my main usage comes under wifi.. Otherwise battery goes down quickly. It's great under wifi.

But you could say on 4G the quicker it is also the better signal you get too.

kaibex

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
East Sussex, UK
Impressed with improved speeds. In a speedtest with my mate today (who is on Orange) miles from a 4GEE area and standing side by side he got 0.86mb and I got 9.02mb. Can't wait to use my LTE :D

*UPDATED* even better on day 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.